Dark Age (Red Rising Series Book 5) by…

Dark Age (Red Rising Series Book 5) (edition 2019)

by Pierce Brown (Author)

Series: Red Rising Saga (5)

For a decade Darrow led a revolution against the corrupt color-coded Society. Now, outlawed by the very Republic he founded, he wages a rogue war on Mercury in hopes that he can still salvage the dream of Eo. But as he leaves death and destruction in his wake, is he still the hero who broke the chains? Or will another legend rise to take his place? Lysander au Lune, the heir in exile, has returned to the Core. Determined to bring peace back to mankind at the edge of his sword, he must overcome or unite the treacherous Gold families of the Core and face down Darrow over the skies of war-torn Mercury. But theirs are not the only fates hanging in the balance. On Luna, Mustang, Sovereign of the Republic, campaigns to unite the Republic behind her husband. Beset by political and criminal enemies, can she outwit her opponents in time to save him? Once a Red refugee, young Lyria now stands accused of treason, and her only hope is a desperate escape with unlikely new allies. Abducted by a new threat to the Republic, Pax and Electra, the children of Darrow and Sevro, must trust in Ephraim, a thief, for their salvation--and Ephraim must look to them for his chance at redemption. As alliances shift, break, and re-form--and power is seized, lost, and reclaimed--every player is at risk in a game of conquest that could turn the Rising into a new Dark Age.… (more)
Member:mgeorgebrown89
Title:Dark Age (Red Rising Series Book 5)
Authors:Pierce Brown (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2019), 776 pages

Dark Age by Pierce Brown

So, here's the thing. I don't think I actually like Darrow anymore. He's had to make incredibly difficult decisions throughout the series and this just continues in Dark Age. I disagree with many of them and he has the arrogance of a Gold who was created to destroy and rebuild the society.

But, you know what? It doesn't matter because I continue to love this series. I love so many of the characters and it hurts when they get hurt (and die, because of course they do). Lyria especially who grows in this book to start to recognize she can make change happen. The world building continues to be superb. The world Pierce Brown has created continues to grow and develop.

In so many book series, it ends with the triumph. We never get to see what happens after. The pettiness and resistance to change. The day to day struggles that can result in everyday people thinking that life was easier in the oppressive society of before our hero's triumph. Not this series. We see some fighting to return to what was before. We see some fighting to change things. And we see some people thinking they know what society needs and they will fight to shape it in their vision, whether it be right or wrong.

The most upsetting thing in this book is now having to wait for the next in the series to be published. I can't wait. ( )
  MelMcK5 | Jul 31, 2020 |
Okay, folks. This is a big book in a number of ways. It's not only huge, physically, but it's dense with action from the alpha to the omega.

And it is BRUTAL. Just look at that title.

Now assume that the death count will be on par with the Black Plague. Only it's just super-soldiers in mech armor with genius IQs sporting the most massive war-erections ever conceived and both sides are willing to cut no corners to annihilate each other.

I'll be honest, I haven't been in much of a mood for total grimdark lately, but when it is done well, it is done well. And this SF Space-Opera is GRIM. WAY beyond it's YA roots, firmly in the territory of massive gore, mutilations, babies nailed to trees, sliced-and-diced monster horses, and so many wonderful characters slaughtered to the Blood God.

I got to know and love new characters among the old, grew with them, and I died with them. What a nightmare. And sometimes it was too much for me. Almost everyone in these books is harder than nails, unable and unwilling to give an inch, and willing to kill everyone for any number of reasons. Revenge doesn't even begin to cover it. This is pure nightmare chaos. Nevermind the high idealism of the previous books or the eventual dark fall that came with the previous.

This one will simply wash you in blood.

Happy reading! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
The darkest book in the series yet. Broke my heart in so many different ways that I can't but recommend it. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
Great book. I'm thinking of it as: Red Rising Volume 2 book 1. Dark Age will be V2B2.

I initially didn't like it. The primarily listened to the audiobook. While the remaining characters you love from Morning Star are still primary characters, focus has changed to new characters that I did not initially care for.

If you feel that way initially, as I did, just wait. You'll be in tears at some point. Recommend.

Spoiler insights:
During the saga of Red Rising we primarily follow Darrow, "Reaper", the Red who rose and became a Gold. There was an agenda and a goal that has been drilled into the reader's soul from the beginning of Red Rising. By the end of Morning Star, a reader can say… the story is told.

The trilogy is complete. No, it didn't wrap up neat with no lose ends, but there was a beginning, a middle, and an end… not exactly what you have prayed for since Red Rising, but if Pierce Brown decided to sip colorful adult beverages on a beach somewhere the rest of his life, no harm done.

The Red Rising Series is much the story of the downtrodden rising up and winning their revolution to be treated fair, not as quasi slaves. And at the end of Morning Star, while the job is not 100% done, it has had its beginning, middle, and end.

I've seen war. It's ugly, beginning, middle to the end, and beyond.

At the end of the trilogy, you may feel like you've been ridden hard, wrung out, and finally tossed into the laundry basket to rest… perhaps. Or at least for a while. You know you're in the load of laundry that will make it into the washing machine at some point. But the story of going through the washing machine and dryer does not need to be told.

Iron God is the end of the beginning and turning to face beyond. Mustang always wanted to know if Darrow was only a hammer, or if he could be the shovel and hoe needed after the hammer has done the damage needed to end a bad idea. What's after the bad idea?

Lyria of Lagalos is what's after. No home. No community. No job. No family. Just waiting and hoping that what the new government promised will come to pass before everyone she knows is dead.

Read December 9-30, 2019, ( )
  Aegiswiz | May 11, 2020 |
I loved the Red Rising trilogy, but I'm less excited about the extension. Here we have the middle book of the second trilogy, and as in the middle book of the first one it's depressing and dispiriting. Things look bad for the good guys.

In this volume, we follow Darrow on Mercury as he tries to hold the planet from the Society, which has overwhelming numbers in orbit, with no help coming from the Republic forces. Separately we follow Lysander au Lune as he takes part in the invasion of Mercury along with the forces of Atalantia. Separately, on Mars we follow Ephraim and the kidnapped children of Darrow/Virginia and Sevro/Victra as they reside among the Obsidians. Meanwhile, Victra is trying to get to the children but is waylaid on Mars with Lyria and Volga; and Virginia deals with the Senate on Luna and is surprised by machinations that I won't reveal here.

My problems with the book: the action is non-stop, which is fine, but the carnage is relentless. Even that's OK, but the protagonists in the story are constantly making absurdly narrow escapes and being rescued at the last minute. There are crashes of ships in which every redshirt is impaled by debris while the heroes emerge with minor injuries. After so many captures and escapes, it really makes no sense to leave anyone important alive for more than 30 seconds after capture, especially since no injury received is permanent given the medical technology of the age.

And there are just too many characters and too much going on- it's hard to keep it all straight, and makes the book more than 700 pages. There's a new Obsidian character, Fa, introduced later in the book, who is playing an important role, but I think the book would have been better to avoid complicating the plot even more.

The first trilogy was great. But this one is just exhausting. I'd rather see Pierce Brown build a different world at this point.
But I'll still be reading the next book- I want to see how he writes himself out of this mess. Hopefully it won't be too implausible. ( )
  DanTarlin | Dec 25, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,695,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible