Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman…

Haroun and the Sea of Stories (1990)

by Salman Rushdie

Series: Haroun (1)

Recently added byprivate library, LoisB, PoultneyLibrary, fundevogel, differer, brenpike, HUILL, engpunk77, emmylikesbooks
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (weeksj10)
    weeksj10: Rushdie's books focused around the Khalifa family are like a modern day Alice in Wonderland with a spicy bite from its Indian setting. The wordplay, characters, and plot all mirror those of Alice and like Carroll's book Rushdie's can and will be enjoyed by magic lovers of all ages.… (more)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (calmclam)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (thiagop)
    thiagop: Both books talk about literature in a fantastic way.
    Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Word play and language are an intregal part of both books. Ella Minnow Pea is a bit more sophisticated, but for adults or teens who enjoyed Haroun and the Sea of Stories, I think they will also find Ella Minnow Pea very enjoyable.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (lorax)
    lorax: Both are beautifully written fairy tales about young people traveling to another world, readable by kids but with much for adults to enjoy.

English (59)  French (1)  All languages (60)
These were my journal entries in 2004:

Rushdie is a damned good writer. I'm LOVING this. As with Satanic Verses, I'm savoring every word, every line, trying not to go too fast because I don't want it to be over. I'm halfway through and I can't afford any more time to read it. One more week until school's out and I'll find out what happens in this magical world of (Kahini?)

I'm inspired to read Arabian Nights after this. And of course, more and more Rushdie.
I'll journal more when I'm finished. Thank you for sending this to me!

edit journal entry | upload journal entry pic | back to top

Journal entry 5 by cmjuliep from New Hartford , New York USA on Friday, June 25, 2004

Finished it in the park on a perfect day. Ah....summer is here. Loved it...will pass on and buy myself one for my permanant collection---I want to read it to my son when he's a bit older and I want it available to my students, too.

2008: My son would never enjoy this book! :( He is so different from me. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
Great introduction to Rushdie's work. Great story. ( )
  NatalieSW | Jan 1, 2015 |
On the continuum between Phantom Tollbooth and the Fairyland series. Naturally, loved it. ( )
  beckydj | Feb 26, 2014 |
A quick read. The fantastic storyline kept me engaged although some might find it a bit too fanciful. ( )
  dmangst | Jan 26, 2014 |
This was strange and fun, maybe a little too silly for me. I thought it was going to be a bunch of short stories linked together like Arabian Nights but it's actually just a single novel. The length was perfect. I think it ti would have been any longer it would have gotten boring.

As usual Rushdie fills the story with colorful characters and just lets his imagination run wild. This seems like it would make a beautiful graphic novel. ( )
1 vote ragwaine | Dec 29, 2013 |
". . . [a] remarkable new children's book . . . [T]he experiences that lie behind 'Haroun and the Sea of Stories' are nearly as fantastic as anything in the tale. . . . full of comic energy and lively verbal invention."

Rushdie, Salmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Birkbeck, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saaltink, StephanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stege, GiselaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zembla, Zenda, Xanadu:
A ll our dream-worlds may come true.
F airy lands are fearsome too.
A s I wander far from view
R ead, and bring me home to you.
There was once, in the country of Alifbay, a sad city, the saddest of cities, a city so ruinously sad that it had forgotten its name.
Still Haroun wanted to know why his parents hadn't had more children, but the only answer he ever got from Rashid was no answer at all:

'There's more to you, young Haroun Khalifa, than meets the blinking eye.'

Well, what was THAT supposed to mean? 'We used up our full quota of child-stuff just in making you,' Rashid explained. 'It's all packed in there, enough for maybe four-five kiddies. Yes, sir, more to you than the blinking eye can see.'

Straight answers were beyond the powers of Rashid Khalifa, who would never take a short cut if there was a longer, twistier road available.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140157379, Paperback)

Immediately forget any preconceptions you may have about Salman Rushdie and the controversy that has swirled around his million-dollar head. You should instead know that he is one of the best contemporary writers of fables and parables, from any culture. Haroun and the Sea of Stories is a delightful tale about a storyteller who loses his skill and a struggle against mysterious forces attempting to block the seas of inspiration from which all stories are derived. Here's a representative passage about the sources and power of inspiration:
So Iff the water genie told Haroun about the Ocean of the Stream of Stories, and even though he was full of a sense of hopelessness and failure the magic of the Ocean began to have an effect on Haroun. He looked into the water and saw that it was made up of a thousand thousand thousand and one different currents, each one a different colour, weaving in and out of one another like a liquid tapestry of breathtaking complexity; and Iff explained that these were the Streams of Story, that each coloured strand represented and contained a single tale. Different parts of the Ocean contained different sorts of stories, and as all the stories that had ever been told and many that were still in the process of being invented could be found here, the Ocean of the Streams of Story was in fact the biggest library in the universe. And because the stories were held here in fluid form, they retained the ability to change, to become new versions of themselves, to join up with other stories and so become yet other stories; so that unlike a library of books, the Ocean of the Streams of Story was much more than a storeroom of yarns. It was not dead, but alive.

"And if you are very, very careful, or very, very highly skilled, you can dip a cup into the Ocean," Iff told Haroun, "like so," and here he produced a little golden cup from another of his waistcoat pockets, "and you can fill it with water from a single, pure Stream of Story, like so," as he did precisely that.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:52 -0400)

The author of The Satanic Verses returns with his most humorous and accessible novel yet. This is the story of Haroun, a 12-year-old boy whose father Rashid is the greatest storyteller in a city so sad that it has forgotten its name. When the gift of gab suddenly deserts Rashid, Haroun sets out on an adventure to rescue his print.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible