Yarnitecture : a knitter's guide to spinning…

Yarnitecture : a knitter's guide to spinning : building exactly the yarn… (edition 2016)

by Jillian Moreno

Member:prairiespinner
Title:Yarnitecture : a knitter's guide to spinning : building exactly the yarn you want
Authors:Jillian Moreno
Info:North Adams, Massachusetts : Storey Publishing, [2016]
Tags:spinning, design

Yarnitecture: A Knitter's Guide to Spinning: Building Exactly the Yarn You Want by Jillian Moreno

I read this in German and have asked my bookstore to order it for me in English.

This is a very useful book for spinners who want to develop ways of spinning different yarns. As usual, it is aimed at those who spin on a wheel and is not as useful for those like me who spindle. Still, I think it will help.

The German translation is well done, but the German title is very uncreative compared to the English. Once I have the English copy, I will borrow the German again to copy the metric measurements in, as the English doesn't seem to include them. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Apr 6, 2019 |
This beautiful book begins with a gorgeous cover, and is filled with photos of handspun yarn and various items knitted from handspun yarn.

The book begins with the usual introductions, and of course talks about the various types of wools. Naturally you'd expect that in any handspinning book. The book also talks about spinning with intention, which I think made some interesting points. The book also covers preparing fiber for spinning, and talks about the importance of twist, types of plying, finding balance, etc; again, with photos that can't help but inspire you (and makes me wish I was a much better spinner, with an actual spinning wheel and not just a hand spindle!)

Then there's a lot of information about color, color theory, etc., followed by finishing your yarn.

Lastly, there's a small, but nice, section of patterns specific to handspun yarn, by well known designers.

All in all, I think this is a must for any hand-spinners library, especially those that may not be spinning for a long time.
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Like me you probably have whole shelves devoted to, and have read many books about, spinning, yarn, and wool from the likes of Alden Amos, Carol Ekarius, Judith MacKenzie McCuin, Clara Parkes, and Deborah Robson among many others (I just took a quick sampling of my bookshelf, I can’t list everyone), but you haven’t quite figured out how to take all that knowledge and improve the yarn you spin. Yarnitecture is your answer.

Moreno builds on her extensive experience as a knitter and spinner and has figured out a way to break down all the parts of making a yarn in a way that makes sense and will aid the reader in producing the yarn they want to spin. This isn’t a book for those who have never picked up a spindle or sat at a wheel. It’s perfect for me as I already keep a notebook (very useful for my yarn vision) and want to move out of what I’ll call my spinning rut. Several years ago my goal was to figure out how to spin a consistent yarn of a certain size. I can. I now almost always prepare, draft, and spin my fiber the same way braid after braid.

Organized in seven sections, grouped and named inspired by phases encountered when building a house (such as foundation, frame, and paint), Moreno has written a remarkable book. I took copious notes each time I’ve read my eARC copy. I am incorporating the lessons and tips I’ve picked up into my spinning and I see a positive result in my spinning.

While many experienced spinners will likely think they should skip straight to the chapter of what’s currently causing them trouble, I urge at least one complete cover to cover read. Yes, I know my notebook about my spinning isn’t unique, but I like Moreno’s way to keep quick notes with her samples and spun yarns. It’s also nice to read suggestions on what to record, and why.

The photos of fiber preparations and clarifying woolen vs worsted and top vs roving should be required reading for all spinners and those who write product descriptions. I’m sure I’ve read it a zillion times before. I think it’s finally beginning to stick.

All of the other sections from drafting, plying, color, to finishing and actual knitting are delightful and full of tips. When two (or more) techniques are compared, I enjoyed the clear photographs to help further explain what was going on and why. The included designs are both a range of styles and fibers and a great starting point for taking the lessons in the book and turning them into something that can be knitted and not just another pretty skein of handspun that sits in a basket to be admired. I liked that notes were included from the spinner of the yarn of things they found difficult or helpful.

I recommend this to every spinning knitter. I’m eager for a time machine so I can give it to my past self and prevent many hours of spinning frustration.

I received an eARC of this title from NetGalley in exchange for a review. The FTC wants you to know. ( )
  pennyshima | Aug 18, 2016 |

Jillian Morenoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ivy, BristolContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Create your dream yarn! Discover the pleasures of designing and building custom-made yarn by spinning it yourself, choosing everything from color to feel and gauge. Jillian Moreno leads you through every step of yarn construction, with detailed instructions and step-by-step photos showing you how to select the fiber you want (wool, cotton, silk, synthetic), establish a foundation, and spin a beautiful yarn with the structure, texture, and color pattern that you want. In addition to teaching you the techniques you need for success, Moreno also offers 12 delicious original patterns from prominent designers, each one showcasing hand-spun yarns,"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,242,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible