Zenith by Sasha Alsberg

Zenith (edition 2018)

by Sasha Alsberg (Author)

Series: The Androma Saga (1)

INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER "A whirlwind, out-of-this-galaxy adventure!" --#1 New York Times bestselling author Sarah J. Maas "ZENITH is a spectacularly stunning, whirlwind adventure with a race-against-the-clock plot and strong as hell female characters." --Buzzfeed "Epic, mesmerizing and heart stopping." --Danielle Paige, New York Times bestselling author From #1 New York Times bestselling author duo Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings comes the first book in The Androma Saga, an action-packed thrill ride of adventure, intrigue and steamy star-crossed romance. Known across the galaxy as the Bloody Baroness, Captain Androma Racella and her motley crew of space-bound privateers roam the Mirabel galaxy on the glass starship Marauder, taking what mercenary work they can find to stay alive. When a routine job goes awry, the Marauder's all-girl crew find themselves placed at the mercy of a dangerous bounty hunter from Andi's past. Coerced into a life-threatening mission, and straight into the path of a shadowy ruler bent on revenge, Andi and her crew will either restore order to the ship--or start a war that will devour worlds. "A dark and complex sci-fi drama." --School Library Journal… (more)
Member:Chazzarang
Title:Zenith
Authors:Sasha Alsberg (Author)
Info:HQ Young Adult (2018), 368 pages

Zenith by Sasha Alsberg

English (12)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
I honestly tried to like it. Some people derived true pleasure from reading this book so I went in optimistic, trying to resist my more cynical tendencies. Then I got the prologue and immediately regretted my decision.

I don't know the authors. I'm not familiar with the booktubing world, so I have no positive or negative views on them. But from what I've seen, the people responsible for this book are truly good people who love reading and writing. So I can't fathom how they fell into every possible book trap. Corny writing, needless repetition, the classic Science Fiction "let's throw in some gills/fins/feathers/spikes for no reason" trope. The plot is so thin I need to wear an undershirt when I put it on. After getting maybe a third of the way through I found my attention drifting, as nothing was keeping me hooked. The setting, the characters, it all felt like bad replications of plain Sci Fi that I've already read.

I don't want to spend a super long time ripping on this book, because plenty of people already have. But I will point out one thing that not enough people are talking about: they use the word "biodrugs". Now, Zenith is filled to the brim with dumb random "science-y" words that are never explained or fleshed out. I guess they thought that would make it feel immersive, yet they continued to use other familiar slang words and regionalisms so it simply came off as conflicting and weird. But I don't think enough people truly stopped to appreciate how awful the word "biodrugs" is for a Science Fiction story. It comes off like the level of satire I'd expect from an SNL skit, or a play written by middle schoolers. Like a bad Star Wars parody where Luke leans over to Han and says "Hey, wanna star-walk over to that space-alley and smoke some BIODRUGS?"

But nope. It's not a joke. It's just a bad book. If Zenith were a joke, it would have ended after one page and I would have given it five stars. ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |
This book was both interesting and boring. I found it to be a little slow. I honestly think that it would be better as a show. I would recommend this to my sister but I don't know anyone else who would like this book. People who watch the original Star Treks may like it. It was an okay book. Not the best but not the worst. I do like that the book had each chapter that it focused on one character's story.

Zenith is about a girl named Androma or Andy. She was in pilot school, top of her class. She was put in charge of the General's daughter's ship. That all changed very quickly, Andy killed the General's daughter. She was put up on trial. Now she was on the run and has been for years. Now being chased through the galaxy, leaving a bloody trail as her all girl crew goes along. The crew hides, runs away, and brings illegal items to criminals. One fateful day her crew doesn't get away from the General she running from. She and her crew fight back but fail. Andy's crew gets but in the ships jail. Andy stays upstairs trapped in a room with her ex. The last time he saw her he had threatened to turn her into the police. The General now sits Andy down, she expects the worst. The General says "If you find my missing son, I will let you free and all bounties on your head will be gone." Androma is shocked. Now Androma goes on an adventure to save the General's son and help herself become free once again.
  JInman.ELA4 | Jan 14, 2020 |
So...before I post reviews I generally look at other reviews to see if people felt similar to me or not and I am in shock at the ones for this book. Some of them are just out right mean. I'm grateful I went into this book after it was already released and missed whatever hype was surrounding this release, because having that clean slate is probably why I enjoyed the concept.

For me personally, this book did not hold my attention very well and I'm hoping that the next book will capture my attention better than this one did. I love a good story in space. This book had a lot of potential. I liked what it gave me, but of course something was lacking here.

I'm glad we got so much background info for Androma on how she became the Bloody Baroness by the time the book ended BUT the placement of these flashbacks throughout the story were kind of awkward.

Speaking of Bloody Baroness...my biggest pet peeve was how many times the book mentioned the Bloody Baroness' arrival. I got it. Androma is a sight to see when she's fighting. Cool. We could probably find a better way to describe that each time. Or just you know...focus on the fight scene in itself.

Aside from that, I adore Nor and her mother Klaren for some reason. You barely spend any time with either of them (especially Klaren), but the little glimpses we got into their characters and motivations made me truly like reading about them. I want to strangle Valen, but that's purely based on what he did and not his character at all. Overall, you're given a lot of information it seems to almost make you want to route for the bad guys a little bit too.

I'm a little saddened that we didn't get to know the crew better. I feel like there is more to know about Breck and Gilly that I missed somehow. I could take or leave Dextro, to be honest. Before the end, I was definitely routing for Androma and Valen. Dextro just kind of seemed to back and forth on what he wanted in finding Androma and her crew. Like do you want to be mad at her or do you feel like she was justified for what she did? Make up your mind sir. I want to like you.

Again there was a lot of potential for this story and I really wished that it was tapped into and other things cut out. I'll be reading the next one just to see what Nor and Valen get up to. ( )
  biblioteee | Jan 25, 2019 |
2.5 Full review is here
I truly appreciate a good space adventure. I’m a Mass Effect addict yes even to this day 1-3 are amazing! I loved the series so much. I love a good team up adventure as well, enemies to friends or former lovers to friends to lovers again tropes. Zenith promised a lot of things I thought I would love. It didn't deliver on all those items.

I didn’t love it. I didn’t hate it either, but I really think this is a book that won’t hit home for a lot of people. It’s apparent the authors are getting their bearings writing as a duo and that is totally okay. It doesn’t suffer to much for it, but I do think it would have benefitted from heavier editing and being shorter.

Next we have the writing itself. It’s clunky. It’s over done for no reason. At one point they talk about using a microphone to amplify a voice. We don’t need that extra descriptor as a reader and these examples are multiple examples of this throughout the book.

One moment that I really loved though involved some romance novels being gifted to another character. Super here for that sort of stuff. Also here for the fact that we get to see a girl team that is a team no enemies amongst them. I really liked getting the fun of a squad going to save the world.

I finished this up and just felt the definition of meh. It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever read and it’s not the best. Again I plan to try out book two but if that one is lacking the finesse I want in a science fiction adventure I'm going to let the series go. At the end of the day writing a book as a duo or trio even is difficult and I recognize that. I think we should see a lot of growth between this one and the next book in the writing.
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Oh boy, this was a pretty boring book. I had heard about this book way back when it was first released but I didn’t know a thing about it. When I got around to reading a summary I thought it might be something I was interested: space pirates? Right up my alley. But sadly, the writing skills of both authors was just not up to par for this ambitious project.

I will however, give them credit where credit is due. It’s hard to write a 50,000 word novel and these two ladies were able to crank out a flipping brick. The problem was that there was too much explanation for little things that didn’t need to be explained. I don’t know what their editor was thinking but the transitions were messy and inserted out of nowhere. New characters were introduced awkwardly and by the time I reached the middle of the book I had no idea what the actual story was. Was it a heist? A romance? Who knows? I still don’t.

I won’t be continuing with this series simply because the writing didn’t help me become invested in any of the characters. That’s also another problem, the characterization was weird and inconsistent. There are plenty of other reviewers with better examples of this and the other problems that I personally had so I’ll just leave it at that. ( )
  Jessika.C | Nov 4, 2018 |

Alsberg, Sashaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cummings, Lindsaymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,794,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible