Wuthering Heights: A Kaplan SAT…

Wuthering Heights: A Kaplan SAT Score-Raising Classic (Kaplan Sat Score…

by Emily Brontë

When I first picked up Wuthering Heights, my English teacher warned me that frame tale, the literary style of a story within a story, is the most complicated style there is. I shrugged my shoulders and turned the page. After all, I’ve done it before.

But, man, Wuthering Heights is difficult with a capital DIFFICULT. And I’m still not quite sure I understand because, as painful as this is to admit, I didn’t know the housekeeper was narrating until I looked it up on SparkNotes. I tried to get into this “classic” but by the time I reached the halfway point, I was frustrated beyond belief. In fact, I had to put the book down and try something else. Yet I persevered, hoping the second half would redeem this “classic.” No such luck.

I have to ask, why is this considered a love story? Seriously? Am I missing something? Because all I saw were two characters who were self-absorbed and malicious, who deserved to be together if only to stop them from ruining other people’s lives.

Anthis book is told in the most boring way ever, all from the point of view of one servant woman. She just drones on and on and on. Honestly, I think I would have liked the characters more if it wasn’t told from her point of view. Maybe a different narrator would have shown them in a better light, especially if it was told from Heathcliff’s or Catherine’s point of view.

In addition, every character in Wuthering Heights is so unsympathetic that I just really didn’t care what happened to any of them, and I couldn’t bear the lead up to one more episode of people being awful to each other.

I expected a lot from Wuthering Heights, especially after it was referenced in Twilight, but I was sorely disappointed.
1 vote jacketscoversread | Nov 28, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743261992, Mass Market Paperback)

The story of Cathy Earnshaw and the wild Heathcliff as they fall in love on the Yorkshire moors spans three generations and is seen through the eyes of the narrators Lockwood and Nelly Dean. Emily Bronte tells of the passion between Cathy and Heathcliff with such vivid intensity that her tale of tragic love has gripped readers for over 100 years.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 17 Jun 2016 21:31:05 -0400)

Millions of readers have enjoyed Wuthering Heights for its romantic and suspenseful plot. But did you know that this story is also packed with vocabulary words you need to know to score higher on your tests. Learning words by reading them in context is one of the most effective ways to expand your vocabulary--this book can help you do just that.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,559,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible