The Airs of Earth by Brian W. Aldiss

The Airs of Earth

by Brian W. Aldiss

1145167,014 (3)1
This collection of stories contains eight excursions into the imagination and poetry of Aldiss' writing. It poses questions such as how the human mind would respond in a non-human body, and whether universal laughter could save the world.

English (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (5)
Compared to "Space, Time and Nathaniel" and "The Canopy of Time" I don't consider this the strongest of Brian Aldiss' short story collections. Only completists need seek this out. ( )
  SFF1928-1973 | Jan 8, 2017 |
A very nice short story collection by one of the greats of science fiction, Brian W. Aldiss. The story that grabbed me the most was about a visit of a group of scientists to a remote planet where one other human has exiled himself and is treated as a god by the locals. The scientists however go through more trouble to discover the truth behind the pygmies and their pets, who look like small dogs and small bears.
The stories in this book are pretty good and very entertaining, but not much more than that. Three out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Nov 8, 2013 |
· A Kind of Artistry · nv F&SF Oct ’62
· How to Be a Soldier [“Soldiers Running”] · ss New Worlds Jun ’60
· Basis for Negotiation · nv New Worlds Jan ’62
· Shards · ss F&SF Apr ’62
· O Moon of My Delight! [“Moon of Delight”] · nv New Worlds Mar ’61
· The International Smile · ss *
· The Game of God [“Segregation”; Planetary Ecological Survey Team (Craig Hodges)] · na New Worlds Jul ’58
· Old Hundredth · ss New Worlds Nov ’60
'O Moon of My Delight!'
The International Smile
The Game of God
Old Hundredth

A collection of eight short stories by Brian Aldiss. I think that my favourite was Old Hundredth followed by How to be a Soldier and 'O Moon of My Delight!'. ( )
  isabelx | Apr 26, 2011 |

Aldiss, Brian W.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deutsch, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Escher, M. C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Airs of Earth/Starswarm are not actually the same collection although there is considerable overlap. See the Internet Speculative Fiction Database for details.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,390,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible