The Enemies of Versailles: A Novel (The…

The Enemies of Versailles: A Novel (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy)

by Sally Christie

So this is what it's like to finish a series; heaviness within the heart, the inner voice screaming "NO!" and realization that this is the end; the characters one has grown to admire and care about will no longer have future books written about them. I'm awed, astounded, sad and heartbroken that this is the end of Mistresses of Versailles trilogy. The book has really lived up to the previous two books; Sisters in Versailles and Rivals in Versailles, and perhaps in some cases even surpassed Rivals in Versailles. For me as well, the story means both a beginning and an ending to chapter in my life; ending the fact that I am free as I was, and beginning a new chapter with my baby boy. Interestingly enough, the series have been with me when I was pregnant with my son (Sisters of Versailles) and one of the first book I read a month or so after my son's birth is Rivals of Versailles. Enemies of Versailles was around my son's first birthday. I really don't want to say goodbye to the series, but still, for a wonderful and vivid portrait of the final glittering years of Court of Versailles, do pick up and read this wonderful gem. ( )
  Sveta1985 | Apr 16, 2017 |
Here we are at the end, the last book in The Mistresses of Versailles trilogy that started with the Sisters of Versailles and the five Nesle sister sisters, with four of them becoming mistresses to the King before Marquise de Pompadour took over the story and the King's affection in The Rivals of Versailles. In The Enemies of Versailles is Marquise de Pompadour dead and it's Jeanne Becu later Comtesse du Barry that will be the last mistress of the King. With du Barry comes also the end as the French revolution is looming on the horizon. She may not be the one to bring down a dynasty. But, the world she will come to belong to, the court is miles away from the ordinary people. And, the people have had enough! Off with the heads!

The Enemies of Versailles is a fabulous ending to a fabulous trilogy. I have enjoyed each book, but I have to admit that The Rivals of Versailles is the book I loved the most. Why, because I came to adore Marquise de Pompadour. She was such a marvelous person and the one that perhaps was the best for the Louis XV. I found her to be both strong and smart. Jeanne, Comtesse du Barry, on the other hand, is in her own way a very nice person. I did not, however, like her as much as I liked de Pompadour. But, what I liked with Comtesse du Barry is her like of scheming, it was everyone else around her that schemed. I think she would have been just as happy with a comfortable life with someone that she loved. Now, the book also had the point of view from Adelaide, the daughter of Louis XV. And I liked the contrast between the two main characters. Adelaide is such a stuck up person, who all through her life only wants her father's love. But, every mistress he has is an enemy to her, but it's not much she can do about that.

The books can be read separately, but I recommend starting from the beginning. By starting from the first book will you meet a young Louis XV and you get to follow his life through the women that he chose as mistresses. Also, through the books, can one also follow the growing dissatisfaction among the people.

Sally Christie is a superb author and when I came to the end of this book was all I could think "I want more, I want her to continue the story, I want the story of Napoleon through the eyes of the women around him".

4.5 stars

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
The last of Louis XV's mistresses - Madame du Barry - comes to life in this final installment of the Mistresses of Versailles trilogy. Born an illegitimate child into the lowest social order, Jeanne du Barry rose to become the mistress of the French king during his last few years - a position which placed her in opposition to the king's daughters and the young queen-to-be Marie Antoinette. I enjoyed Jeanne's spirit, which I feel the author captured well, and I was saddened by her end. This is a must-read for historical fiction fans! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Apr 1, 2017 |
The book focuses on the last official mistress of Louis XV, Jeanne Becu, better known as Comtesse du Barry. Coming from humble origins she gets a lot of enemies on her way to Versailles and one of them is Madame Adelaide, daughter of the king.

I’ve never liked the women in these books but still somehow loved the books. I don’t know why but here it didn’t work out so well. They were both selfish and wanted the easy life. Adelaide might know Greek but knows nothing about real life. And Jeanne practically grew on the streets; you would think that kicked some sense into her but no. She certainly wasn’t picked for her wits for sure… Even Marie Antoinette was silly and frivolous but even she grew up a bit (too late but still) when needed.

I did feel sad about Louis XV, though. I haven’t been a huge fan of him but I could feel his frustrations with his grandson. Of course, he didn’t help his grandson’s time as a king. Getting a kingdom on a brink of a revolution and debauched life Louis lived and money spending…

I would have liked if it was better stated in what year we were because suddenly you notice the story jumped 2 years, 10 years…

Overall I think this was ok. Which is a shame because I really loved the previous books and in this, I didn’t really care if people got guillotined or not. ( )
  Elysianfield | Mar 31, 2017 |
This is the third and final volume in the Mistresses of Versailles trilogy. The series has focused on the court of Louis XV and his rather extensive list of ladies. This chapter closes out his life with his last mistress, the woman who history knows as the Comtesse du Barry. She was far from noble, in fact her early life was very hard. Her only asset was her amazing beauty and she used it as soon as she could to get out of the lower class – although she became a prostitute for lack of a better word. While living with the Comte du Barry she catches the eye of the king who was a bit afloat after the loss of his last mistress. Our heroine with her quick wit and great beauty soon is all the king can think about.

She is not at all popular with the nobility in place despite the fact that she makes the king happy. Nor is she welcomed by the extremely uptight royal sisters. They must of course, remain sororal at all times. The eldest of the sisters, Adelaide plays a significant role in this tale as she tries to steer her father down a more righteous path but he is not exactly a man that would choose to ignore his earthly erm, pleasures.

I found this trip back to the court of Louis XV to be time well spent at least for the pages that were inhabited by the delightful Comtesse – for her life before and after her rise to the heights of power. When the pages were driven by Adelaide I wanted to choke her. I really do not like this character and that has held firm through all three books. That is a testament to Ms. Christie and she must have been one obnoxious woman. Not Ms. Christie but Madame Adelaide. The book ends at the height of the French Revolution so it does not end happy – but I’m not spoiling any tales as all of this is history. The ending stayed with me, I will note that. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Mar 23, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,490,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible