Barefoot Beach by Toby Devens

Barefoot Beach

by Toby Devens

511,436,638 (2)None

This sounded like a fun summer read. Sadly I can't say that happened to be the case for me. I tried however as I got to chapter twelve and was done with the book. Yet, I did try be picking a random spot in the middle of the book and proceeded to read. However my feelings towards this book did not change. What was missing for me is the lack of a connection to any of the women and their families. This is the type of story where I need to feel that connection in order to be on the journey with the characters as they navigate through their lives. There was a small, small bit of this happening but not strong enough for me to continue reading. Just because this book was not for me does not mean that other readers of these type of books won't like it. ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 18, 2016 |

Spend a summer at the beach with this enchanting and emotional story about love, loss, and the powerful bonds of female friendship...

The beach house carried some kind of spell, concocted of—I don’t know—salt air, sea grass and Old Bay seasoning that over the years had permeated its walls and floorboards. Whatever it was, the place cast fabulous magic.

For Nora Farrell, Tuckahoe, Maryland, isn’t just a summer refuge, it’s home—where she married the love of her life, decided to have a child, and has remained connected with her two closest friends. Even now, long after her husband’s passing, Nora reunites with Margo and Emine every June….

But this year, challenges invade the friends’ retreat. Even as Nora delights in teaching at her dance studio, she is shaken by the possible loss of her beach house…and by a tentative new romance. While Margo directs a musical at the Driftwood Playhouse, she finds her marriage on rocky ground. And Em, who relishes running her family’s café, struggles to handle her rebellious daughter.

With their personal dramas reaching a fever pitch, the women will discover that it isn’t only the beach that brightens their lives. Their bond with one another provides the ultimate magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 18 Jun 2016 16:01:30 -0400)

"Spend a summer at the beach with this enchanting and emotional story about love, loss, and the powerful bonds of female friendship ... The beach house carried some kind of spell, concocted of--I don't know--salt air, sea grass and Old Bay seasoning that over the years had permeated its walls and floorboards. Whatever it was, the place cast fabulous magic. For Nora Farrell, Tuckahoe, Maryland, isn't just a summer refuge, it's home--where she married the love of her life, decided to have a child, and has remained connected with her two closest friends. Even now, long after her husband's passing, Nora reunites with Margo and Emine every June ... But this year, challenges invade the friends' retreat. Even as Nora delights in teaching at her dance studio, she is shaken by the possible loss of her beach house ... and by a tentative new romance. While Margo directs a musical at the Driftwood Playhouse, she finds her marriage on rocky ground. And Em, who relishes running her family's cafe, struggles to handle her rebellious daughter. With their personal dramas reaching a fever pitch, the women will discover that it isn't only the beach that brightens their lives. Their bond with one another provides the ultimate magic"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,574,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible