Unpunished by Lisa Black

Unpunished

by Lisa Black

Series: Gardiner and Renner (Jan 2017 - book 2)

I've decided to broaden my horizons and read a book that had no dukes and duchesses, so I grabbed this thriller. I figured if I love thriller and mystery in movies, I may as well find out if the same applies to the written word.

This is the second book in the Gardiner and Renner series (let me note that I haven't read the first one) and the main characters are Maggie and Renner, she a forensics expert, he a homicide detective. Both are searching for a killer, so the plot wasn't bad. What I had trouble with is the two leads. I was hoping for some sparks, and couldn't find any.

In the end I have to say the book was good, but I just wished it concentrated more on character development, rather than the plot and unlimited data of the newspaper industry.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Unpunished by Lisa Black is the second book in A Gardiner and Renner Thriller series. Maggie Gardiner is called out to the death of a copy editor at the Cleveland Herald. Robert Davis was found strung up from the printing tower platform. When the victim is brought down, it is obvious that Davis was murdered. Detective Jack Renner and his partner, Riley are assigned the case. Things are a little awkward between Maggie and Jack since Maggie discovered Jack’s secret (in That Darkness). Maggie collects the forensics while Jack starts questioning newspaper employees. Soon, though, a second victim is found strung up in his living room. Jerry Wilton, Director of Advertising, for the Cleveland Herald was also strangled. Unfortunately, the killer took things one step further with Wilton (it is gruesome). It looks like someone is targeting employees of the Herald. Then Stephanie Davis, Robert’s wife, is found murdered. What did she stumble across in her husband’s belongings? Whatever Stephanie had discovered about her husband, it got her killed. Will Maggie and Jack be able to find the killer before there is another casualty.

I had high hopes for Unpunished after reading That Darkness. I like Jack Renner and Maggie Gardiner. They have such potential as main characters. Unfortunately, Lisa Black did not bring them to life in Unpunished. Maggie did find out more about Jack in this book (which I liked). But, the relationship between Maggie and Jack did not have any spark. I found Unpunished to extremely slow paced. The author put in too many details about the newspaper industry. The book felt more like a monologue about how real newspapers are dying out and are being replaced by digital papers that focus on celebrity gossip (there was more, but I started skipping pages at this point). We also find out how newspapers are run and published (which makes for a very dull mystery novel). I give Unpunished 2 out of 5 stars. The book did not have any suspense, and the killer can be identified early in the story. The author did provide good clues (if you pay very close attention). Unpunished fell short of its potential. If you do read Unpunished, I recommend reading That Darkness first. It gives you necessary background details on the characters and the relationship between Jack and Maggie. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Feb 5, 2017 |
Unpunished by Lisa Black is a police procedural and the second book in a series featuring forensic investigator Maggie Gardiner and homicide detective Jack Renner.

This time Robert Davis, a copy editor at the Cleveland Herald, is found hanging off the railing above the print room during the nightly press run for the paper. At first it appears to be a suicide, but upon closer inspection it is clear that Davis was murdered. Maggie Gardier and Jack Renner are involved in the investigation. They have a wary truce and share a secret that could ruin both of them. The investigation includes a mass of information about the death keel of the print news industry today. Can the murderer be found before he or she strikes again?

My first advice is to read Lisa Black's That Darkness first. As the second in a series where I somehow missed the first book, That Darkness, I was missing some vital background information on the two characters. Although I could gather the gist of it, I actually wanted more information to help create a complete picture of the two characters. I know they were involved in a case where Maggie figured out Jack was a serial killer/vigilante who eliminated the bad guys who deserved to die. Maggie has a secret that she shares with him and the two have an uneasy truce/agreement. Very intriguing characters, but I had incomplete background information about the two.

Setting that aside, figuring out who did it was pretty darn easy in this case, but I think the book was more about these two characters and their uneasy alliance. There is also a plethora of information about the death of the newspaper industry. Black researched the facts and includes a bibliography of the books that helped her research. It was fun to see the case develop and the clues that are followed.

The writing is great. I enjoyed following the investigation and I like Maggie, but I wanted the full backstory. Sometimes you can read a mystery series out of order, sometimes you can't. You need to read this series in the order intended. I did enjoy it and was glued to the pages through the whole book.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Kensington Publishing. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Feb 1, 2017 |
From what I can see this is the second Gardiner & Renner Novel. The first being THAT DARKNESS. Black just did not bring forth any emotional characters in this work, The bodies just kept piling up but the "Who done it?" was not suspenseful. Maggie Gardiner is in forensics and Jack Renner is a cop. Their past secrets was the only driving force for me since I had not read the first book. Technology wiping out the newspaper business was narrated over way too many pages. Copy supplied by Kensington Publishing and author through Netgalley. ( )
  marandajo | Jan 31, 2017 |
here are a lot of gory murders that take place in this story, which I understand is the second in the series, now I haven’t read the first, but enough information was given for me to figure things out in this one.
The police detective is a Robin Hood type who believes in justice being handled by him, especially when the courts have let him down. I can see that there will be another book, as his on going system of justice will have to come to a head.
While this story has murders in the Cleveland newspaper, and we all understand that it is a dying industry. Sad, but that is progress, and it made a good backdrop for the tale. All we needed to do was figure out who was the culprit, and while we were looking our Maggie is the forensic part of the police, she takes samples, and hope they lead to the perpetrator. Our police detective is Jack; also our vigilante cop, and we still have to solve four murders, and maybe more, dealing with the paper.
The book kept me guessing, and I almost could sympathize with Jack, but that sure wouldn’t be justice, and with someone following leads that may finally find him out, you are probably going to want to read the next book.
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Kensington, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jan 31, 2017 |

Lisa Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Potter, KirstenReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Media, Llc DreamscapePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible