Ghostbusters: Who Ya Gonna Call? by Erik…

Ghostbusters: Who Ya Gonna Call?

by Erik Burnham

511,436,638 (4)None
comic (1) ghosts (1) humor (1) to-read (2)

I feel like it's risky to make comics about beloved characters, because if you get the personalities wrong it will upset the fan-base. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when I started reading Ghostbusters: Who You Gonna Call? I grew up watching Ghostbusters over and over again; I just love the characters so much.

Luckily the author did a good job of really capturing their personalities in these new adventures. Egon Spengler was his brainy self, intelligent to the point of social awkwardness. Peter Venkman was probably the highlight, as he was in the movies; his sarcastic wit was just what was needed to lighten up the story-line. Let's not forget about their lovable secretary; one of my favorite parts was when Janine's date shows up to take her to the opera and the guys give them both a hard time. I was really surprised to see Janosz included as well, with some allusions to the events in Ghostbusters II.

Even if you haven't read issues #1-12 (like me), you won't be lost. There were a few parts where I was slightly confused, but things became more or less clear by the end. Of course I would like to go back and read them now, because I enjoyed the story line. And if you're wondering, yes I read the dialogue in their voices in my head. It was impossible not to.

I was a little unsure about the illustrations at the beginning, because the people are drawn almost like caricatures. Cartoonish and exaggerated I guess would be a good description. It really grew on me after a while, and the supernatural aspects were absolutely stunning and beautiful.

With the new Ghostbusters movie being released and all of the skepticism that went along with that, I like that we can still go on adventures with the original cast as well. Ghostbusters comics are not a new concept, and I haven't really read any of the others, but I can tell you that this particular series lived up to my expectations.

*I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  luckydevilreviews | Jul 25, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,007,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible