Chaos Rises (Chaos Rises, #1) by Pippa…

Chaos Rises (Chaos Rises, #1)

by Pippa DaCosta

What if you had a demon inside you, thirsting for blood and violence and dominance? And the only thing keeping it at bay was a drug that could only be found via two ways: either by returning to those who had created and tormented you, or be a full-fledged demon's minion. What would you do?

For Delta and Gamma, the answer is the latter. The two half-demon siblings only have each other to rely on, but they also need a certain drug that makes the demons inside them controllable. So, instead of returning to the institute that made them this way, they end up doing a demon's dirty work in exchange for their doses. However, things are never so simple when one deals with creatures of hell, and in this case, Del and Gem are in way deeper than they originally thought...

I know, I know, the summary I just gave you is not satisfactory, not by a long shot. But I swear I have my reasons for that - one of them being that the book was just too awesome to simply summarize for you guys! Seriously, I'm new to Pippa DaCosta's writing, seeing as this was the first book of hers I read, but I can promise you this, I'm NOT gonna stop until I drop dead! Not to mention that I've already added the series that this one was based on in my TR list.

I don't even know which feature of hers to start praising!

The plot? It was original, it was full of twists, and right when you thought that you could breathe freely because things were going into a final direction, the current changed again and you were back at square one! It made not only the story, but also the world and the characters seem so real, so 3D and stuff. By making the story flow in so many directions, DaCosta managed to do what I previously thought impossible: make her book's universe, all of it, move with the story! It was like having a story with its own breath and pulse, a living being that went far higher than a simple combination of words and letters.

And the characters, oh, they were amazing! All of them flawed, to the point where it was hard to find something good on them, and yet, I was OK with that! They were all wearing their sins like they would their Sunday church clothes, some of them proudly, some of them with an air of inevitability, yet all of them displaying them and not even trying to fix them. It may sound amoral, or that they have no room for character growth, but I firmly believe that this attitude of theirs is EXACTLY why their growth, when it happens, will be spectacular! Gem, and Torrent, at some point tried to be better as individuals, but one has to admit, they sucked at it. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way. They have every right to be like this!

I also liked how the demons were portrayed. At some point, Allard's sexuality was brought up. I think it was very accurate that he had no gender preference, since demons are supposed to be hedonistic creatures, and for them, sex is sex. Romance has no place in their existince, and DaCosta captured that particular fact beautifully. Also, this story may be heading to a triangle - or square, I have three potential lovers for Gem in my mind - and I still don't mind! I hate relationships that don't follow the simple math rule "1+1=2" but in this case? I don't mind at all!

Before I finish this review, let me announce to the world: I WANT LI'EL! I've always been partial to his sin, like, seriously, whenever I find a story that has sins in it, the guy connected with pride will turn out to be my favorite, and once again, I was in love! The guy is down right lickable! I wanna take that spectacular male vessel of his and lick it all over! Since he said he doesn't mind human females swooning over him, I think we would be able to reach a mutual understanding, no?

***I was given an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinion stated in this review is solely mine, and no compensation was given or taken to alter it.*** ( )
  Lydia_Perversius | Sep 23, 2016 |
Gem and her brother Del are half-demons – which is a difficult in the world after the demon invasion. Humans want to destroy or imprison them. Full demons want to enslave them. Gem and Del have made terrible decisions to keep the safe.

And now Del has disappeared – and Gem is faced with another set of terrible choices and thin hopes to save her brother – but her demonic master is the only one who seems to know what is happening even though she knows she cannot trust him and he has his own sinister agenda

This is a semi-dystopian world where the population is recovering from the aftermath of a (possibly brief) demonic invasion. It doesn’t seem to be too different from out world – but there are demonic zones and creatures lurking around

This leaves the demons still on Earth both as creatures to be feared and also creatures that are targeted by humanity from what I can see. While the demons themselves have complex powers, their own culture and their own history

This is one of the few occasions where I actually say I need more world building info! It’s common for initial books in a series to dump too much information in. But this world is big, it has history, we have the demons before the veil, the veil collapsing, this apparently leaving demonic places on earth. We have the elements, we have courts and demon kings and queens and princes, we have lesser demons. We have the half-demons, we have the Institute. A lot of this has history and world building implications which isn’t just good for my nosy, world-building loving self, but it would also really help understand what is going on, understand these characters, understand them and how they relate to the world. I neeeeeed more

I mean I can follow the plot, I can extrapolate, but I feel I’m having to extrapolate a lot. I actually had times when I’d love for one of the characters to confirm what I’ve extrapolated. I actually found myself wishing for an info-dump. Just one person sitting down and giving me a really convoluted “as you know” would be nice. And I can’t believe I just said that. It says a lot about how much I want to see more about this world – this awesome world.

As for Gem, the main character… I have conflicting thoughts. On the one hand, I don’t like her. I don’t like her decision making process. I don’t particularly rate her thought processes, the situation she is in or her place within it – including how she navigates it and thinks about it. I don’t think she worked particularly well with Torrent either – she seemed to either follow his lead for much of the book or make very very very very bad decisions.

At the same time, I understand much of her character (except her whole killing machine past thing which still could use a lot more development). I understand (kind of) her desperate attachment to her brother (but oooh wanted to see more of him, their relationship and his powers and why she was so concerned about them) has led her to believe things she knows are not true. I know her vulnerability has caused her to cling to the abusive Allard in the hope he will protect her, shield her and bring her brother back. I understand her desperation causes her to make bad decisions based on the slimmest possible chances of it work out

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Aug 21, 2016 |
Gem and her brother Del are half-bloods. They were created at the "Institute" specifically to fight and kill demons. But the Veil fell and everything changed. Now they are "owned" by Allard, a demon merchant who has dastardly plans for them.

This was a fun book. I am going to go back and read the first Veil books because I think I will understand the world better. But you don't have to do that get what is going on in this book. Be warned that this is a cliff-hanger if that kind of thing makes you crazy you might want to steer clear or be sure to have the next book at hand. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Jul 13, 2016 |
The cover for CHAOS RISES really drew my attention so I read what it was about and realized it was a spinoff of another of Pippa's series and decided I really wanted to get the full spectrum and read The Veil series before diving into CHAOS RISES. So, I read all 5 of the Veil Series books, really enjoyed them and finally started reading CHAOS RISES.

When I read all of CHAOS RISES and put it down, I just didn't get the same gotta read the next book feeling I was hoping for. I liked Gem just fine and I really loved seeing one of the characters—The Prince of Pride— from The Veil series, but the storyline just didn't reel me in. Just to be completely clear, I didn't hate CHAOS RISES, I just didn't love it or like it as much as I did The Veil series. Maybe I shouldn't have read The Veil series before jumping in. Maybe if I didn't love Muse and her crew so much I wouldn't have done so many comparisons. I just don't know.

Another small thing, I really wanted to see Muse and/or Stefan make an appearance. I know it wasn't their book, but I really wanted them to make an appearance at least once. I kept looking for them and they never came *Sad Face*.

I can't say 100% yet if I will pick up book two when it's available. On one hand, there is a lot of room for this series to grow into something I might love and I really liked the The Prince of Pride in The Veil series and wouldn't mind reading more about him. Then there is the other hand where I didn't love CHAOS RISES and found it a bit slow. Only time will tell, but I MIGHT give it a try.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Jul 7, 2016 |

Pippa DaCosta is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible