A Gentleman Never Tells by Eloisa James

A Gentleman Never Tells

by Eloisa James

This is a novella in Essex Sisters series which I’ve read a very long time ago, and I liked all four books.

As novella’s go, this was a well told story within the constraints of the size they usually come in. My heart went out to our heroine, Lizzie who was married to Adrian, a man who’s never given her much of his time, yet he had plenty of it to spend with his mistress, in whose bed she breaths his last.

Of course, this is a huge embarrassment to Lizzie and she withdraws from society. Her sister has just about had enough of it and after over eighteen months of this self enforced “exile”, she aims to draw Lizzie out and make her enjoy life once more.

Our hero, Oliver is a complicated and very interesting man who had done some questionable things in his youth and takes advantage of attending a house party to offer his apologies for it. I liked him a lot!

You don’t have to have read the other books in this series in order to enjoy this wonderful, fast pacing and utterly romantic story, but I would recommend you do because all of them were truly great.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Lizzie has been widowed for two years but has yet to come back into society since her husband's death was a scandal. At her sister's house party she met Oliver, who has come to apologize for a childhood indiscretion. He agrees to get Lizzie back on a horse and get her to smile. He loses his heart to her.

I enjoyed this story. It's a quick light read. Lizzie needed pushing out of her shell. Oliver was a doll! I'd welcome him with open arms. The two together are outrageous. I enjoyed the other characters but they were a very small part of the story. I look forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Sep 4, 2016 |
Eloisa James is one of my favorite historical romance authors. I tried to pinpoint exactly what I like most about her books, but I just can't do it. Because it's not just one thing; it's the whole package. Her quirky, but charming characters. Her dashing, romantic heroes. The settings. The story lines. They all come together to create the perfect storm for a book.

A Gentleman Never Tells in a new novella in The Essex Sisters series. The main character, Lizzie, is recently widowed. Her late husband was no catch either. He was a nightmare that she's happy to leave behind. Though his treatment of her still haunts her. Lizzie vows she will never be under the thumb of any man ever again. That is until she meets Oliver Berwick.

Oliver has been invited to a party by a woman he had done wrong many years before. He had given her an unfortunate nickname that stuck. He bucks up his courage to go to the party and apologize for past wrongs. He thinks he will be a confirmed bachelor until he meets Lizzie. And to stir the pot, it was Lizzie's sister who he bullied and she's put a condition on her forgiveness. He must make Lizzie laugh. It's a challenge he won't back down from.

It's been a little while since I've read a book by Eloisa James, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. Especially since I enjoy them so much. I've not read all her books, but I have read quite a few. Reading A Gentleman Never Tells makes me want to binge read the entire Essex Sister series. This was a great, fun read. It whets your whistle for more. I liked the story from beginning to end. It's the perfect summer read. Get it while it's hot!

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2016/07/review-gentleman-never-tells.html#q0mKJ... ( )
  mt256 | Aug 26, 2016 |
Lady Lizzie Troutt was forced into an arranged marriage 5 years ago by her father. She was Married to a man whom embarrassed and shamed her and didn't seem to care, but in truth the biggest embarrassment was the fact that he died in his mistresses bed, and even though he has gone from this world, the poisonous words that he inflicted upon her still live within her, so she vows never to marry again.

Honorable Oliver Berwick has self exiled himself to his estate after "making himself a complete ass" by making fun of two young ladies! Horrified by his behavior he stays in the country as much as possible. But now his ward and Niece Hattie is insisting that he takes her to a house party of the parents of a friend of her…and she just happens to be one of the ladies he humiliated. Determined to right his wrong and because he honestly cannot take anymore of Hattie's whining; he fully understands why Hattie's parents went on their Christian mission adventure.

When Lizzie and Oliver meet sparks fly and love blooms, but Lizzie is too scared to enter into any form of relationship with a man, let alone a marriage! Can Oliver convince her otherwise?!

A Gentleman Never Tells is such a sweet romance and the authors writing is outstanding. This novella is perfect for someone like me whom have never read any of the Essex Sisters books, as it gives you a teaser of the series and I'm now compelled to read the whole series. You honestly cannot help but fall in love with these characters, that you are left wanting more. I absolutely loved Oliver's character, honestly he is seriously the dream guy! Funny, but has conscience and is willing to admit his faults! Oh why does the perfect guy only found in books!

I give A Gentleman Never Tells 5 stars! And now I'm off to read the rest of the series. ( )
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
4 "The Widow Finds Her Match" Stars.

Eloisa James' latest release is a romantic novella built around a second chance at love motif. Demonstrating her signature creative talent and adeptness at weaving in some comical, witty scenes (remember the rented pineapple in My American Duchess!) into her romances, A Gentleman Never Tells, was a short and entertaining read. For example, some of my favorite scenes included certain "plum" references and rather inventive croquet game playing.

Married off to gain a title, her "husband" never quite treated Lizzie Troutt as more than a means to money -- though it wasn't for her lack of trying to gain his affections, even if she wasn't attracted to this older man. So when he passes away, in bed with his mistress no less, Lizzie is more than happy to never marry again. Instead preferring to escape into the fantasy world of her books, Lizzie has shunned society for over a year. Her sister, however, is determined to see her happy again and enlists the help of the Honorable Oliver Berwick, a man with his own past woes, to make it happen.

But when a person's spirit is broken, is it ever possible to break through and make them believe that second chances at happiness are truly possible?

All in all, lovers of Ms James' special, funny and sweet romances will not want to miss A Gentleman Never Tells.

Source: Review copy provided in exchange for an honest review.

2 likes · ( )
  B.J.O. | Jun 27, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006257308X, Mass Market Paperback)

A witty, sexy novella about a virgin widow and a rake with something to prove.

Eighteen months ago, Lizzie Troutt’s husband died in his mistress’s bed, leaving her determined to never marry again….and unfortunately virginal.

Until he breaks all the codes of gentlemanly behavior…once again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 27 Jun 2016 22:22:46 -0400)

Eighteen months ago, Lizzie Troutt's husband died in his mistress's bed, leaving her determined to never marry again....and unfortunately virginal. Eighteen years ago (give or take a few) the Honorable Oliver Berwick blackened his own soul, leaving him hardened and resolutely single. When the chance for redemption in the form of a country house party invitation comes his way, Oliver is determined to prove himself a gentleman. Until he breaks all the codes of gentlemanly behavior...once again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 0 books! | Top bar: Always visible