Straight Rows by Tom Deimler

by Tom Deimler

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byNina_N

No tags.

Truly, I enjoy reading memoirs. And this was one of those reads. Not having grown up living the farm life, I can appreciate this story. Was it interesting? Well, yes! Although I didn’t get swept away totally by the settings or characters, this may have been possible with more development of scenes and characterization. For sure, the years of the Great Depression had its memorable moments.

Overall, I was able to travel the journey with this author, through his tender years of living . . . and have gotten to know the “Deimler Family,” and ancestors. Thanks for sharing! ( )
  Nina_N | Jul 11, 2016 |

Farming at the end of the Great Depression was a community effort, and working hard was a way of life. My family cultivated the soil using largely antiquated equipment and existed with no modern conveniences in the home. The days were long, but the results were rewarding as we eked out a living for ourselves. The really wonderful aspect of it was that although we had very little, I never felt we were poor, and I never went to bed hungry. Straight Rows tells the story of my early days, from life as a boy in a one-room schoolhouse until I graduated from high school and went on to college. The experiences described here have defined who I am today. The lessons of the land were many and remain with me still.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 11 Jul 2016 01:11:48 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,665,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible