Best. State. Ever.: A Florida Man Defends…

Best. State. Ever.: A Florida Man Defends His Homeland

by Dave Barry

Recently added byR.E.Stearns, private library, ccwray, Discoduck, DFED, foggidawn, Muldoon, 1234john1234, Pamici

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Assuming you occasionally read things on the Internet, you've probably run across some mockery of Florida Man, or Florida in general, a place known for weird and wacky happenings. In this book, Barry offers up an honest but affectionate take on his home state, from roadside attractions, to retirement villages, to Miami's hottest nightclub. It's a quick and fun read, not as out-and-out hilarious as some of Barry's earlier books, but it frequently had me chuckling aloud. I started out listening to the audiobook, but I didn't care for the narrator (not Barry; I think comedians should, if possible, read their own books, but I can't say I've ever heard Barry, so I suppose he might be the exception to the rule). I switched to the ebook version and enjoyed it much more. So, if you're looking for a humorous take on some of Florida's lesser-known attractions, this book is a good read, just not a great listen. ( )
  foggidawn | Jul 5, 2017 |
I've really missed reading Dave Barry. ( )
  RJ_Bailey | Jun 20, 2017 |
As someone who grew up in Florida I was curious to read this book. I was amused by Dave Barry's writing, and while some of it seemed like he was trying too hard to make me laugh, I definitely let out several genuine snorts and chuckles. While I've personally never ventured to the places he chose to feature in the book, I felt like I was there with him in his experience (and now I'll never need to go). I would recommend this book just because of its humor and cheese-factor - I was thoroughly entertained. Florida is certainly as silly as he portrays it and that's why I love it too! Bravo, Mr. Barry. ( )
  jessicarabbit86 | Jun 17, 2017 |
Dave Barry's latest takes his readers all around the state of Florida in quest of the weird and wonderful things that make it such an interesting place to live. There are cheesy roadside attractions, colourful characters, party scenes for older folks, and shenanigans on Key West. This book does contain plenty of humour, but it is serious in presenting Florida as a place other than a holding bay for the entire U.S. quota of stupid. (As Dave points out, many of the people doing stupid things in those Florida news articles are people who have moved there from other states, not necessarily native Floridians.) It's amusing, but not an urgent purchase.

Rating: 3 out of 5 out-of-order Mold-a-Matic machines. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 29, 2017 |
Dave Barry defends his native state while revealing some of it's wackier side. Quite funny.
  ritaer | Mar 18, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Dave Barry's book Best. State. Ever. is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible