Rusty Puppy by Joe R. Lansdale

"She started it. Ancient midget-ass motherfucking vampire."

Those two sentences exemplify why I love Hap and Leonard, and the awesome dialogue Joe R. Lansdale gives them! Those words are spoken by Leonard... to a little girl! 'Nuff said!

I'm giving this five stars because it is the 12th book in this series, and it's just as good as the first! Good plot, great dialogue, and awesome characters! I really liked Marvin in this one, and the introduction of Reba ("Hope ain't nothing but shit misspelled") was pretty sweet! Crooked cops, the old mill with sawdust and gunk, and good ol' fight clubs make this a fun, quick read! Hopin for #13! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 23, 2017 |
I really wasn't looking forward to another Hap and Leonard story, since I felt Lansdale was going to wear out the series, by publishing too many in a row. But, this turned out to be a great book and I only had two quibbles with it: 1. The use of people being forced to fight was used in a previous Lansdale story "The Pit" and 2. Dropping his daughter's name Kasey Lansdale and referencing what a great singer she is a couple of times in the book was just off putting. Lansdale's daughter is very talented, but I just thought it was awful cheap promotion and it jarred me from the story both times.Still all and all "Rusty Puppy" is a great read from a master storyteller. ( )
  bjkelley | Mar 13, 2017 |
After reading three mediocre books I gave up and read a book I knew would be good. That book was Rusty Puppy, and what is there to say. It's Joe R Lansdale, and it is A Hap & Leonard book. This time out Hap and Leonard get mixed up with a group of cops who organize illegal fights and deal drugs. But does it really matter what the story is about. These books are the type where on one page they are laugh out loud funny and on the next they are detailing the very worst of what one person will do to another.
Another fantastic book, by one of the best author's out there. ( )
  zmagic69 | Feb 28, 2017 |
this one's for my literary agent Danny Baror and my film agent Brian Lipson, both of whom have helped make my life more comfortable, and to them I send my sincere appreciation for their consistent efforts to improve my career, which can be a full-time job unto itself, and for being good friends. thanks, guys. And an acknowledgement to my friennd Jum Mickle, for directing my works so well on screen, and for my brother Nick Damici for adapting those works so kindly and carefully.

Hap and Leonard investigate a racially motivated murder that threatens to tear apart their East Texas town.

While Hap, a former 60s activist and self-proclaimed white trash rebel, is recovering from a life-threatening stab wound, Louise Elton comes into Hap and Leonard's PI office to tell him that the police have killed her son, Jamar.

Months earlier, a bully cop pulled over and sexually harassed Jamar's sister, Charm. The officer followed Charm over the course of the next couple of months, leading Jamar to videotape and take notes on the cop and his partner. The next thing Louise hears, Jamar got in a fight and is killed in the projects by local hoods. It doesn't add up: he was a straight A student, destined for better things, until he began to ask too many questions about the racist police force.

Leonard, a tough black gay Vietnam vet and Republican, joins Hap in the investigation, and they stumble upon the racial divides that have shaped their Eastern Texas town. But if anyone can navigate these pitfalls and bring the killers to justice, it's Hap and Leonard.

Filled with Lansdale's trademark whip-smart dialogue, colorful characters, and relentless pacing, Rusty Puppy is Joe Lansdale at his page-turning best.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 19 Jun 2016 19:06:25 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,898,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible