Last to Die (with bonus short story John…

Last to Die (with bonus short story John Doe): A Rizzoli & Isles Novel

by Tess Gerritsen

I really liked the book and hope it isn't the last one in the series. It got a bit confusing at the end and I had to go back and read a bit to figure things out, but overall right up there with all the other Rizzoli & Isles books I've read. ( )
  jldhuse | Jun 7, 2016 |
I have loved Tess Gerritsen's books since I first read "The Surgeon". The Rizzoli and Isles TV series is a continuation of her crime-solving duo. This one kept me up nights turning pages after saying"I'll just finish this one chapter." The ending was very surprising. I didn't see this coming. I am a little disgusted with Jane's mother and Dad. I guess the reader is supposed to be. Really, really good book. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The Evensong school, sheltered amid piney woods deep in Maine, is an exclusive school for orphans, but not just any orphans; it is for those children who have lost their families due to murder. At Evensong, run by the Mephisto society, the children are well-protected and are taught survival skills for the time when they return to the outside world. Within the school’s population are 3 children who have been touched by tragedy twice in their short lives, the first when their families were killed and the second when their foster families met the same fate. Boston PD Detective Jane Rizolli and Chief Medical Examiner Laura Isles must find the connection between the three teenagers before the children meet the same violent fate.

I can’t quite put my finger on why I didn’t like this one quite as well as other Rizolli and Isles mysteries. Maybe it was a matter of timing more than anything else since I’ve had the book for quite awhile and made myself finally read it to get it off my shelf. Sometimes that’s not the best reason to read a book. On the whole it was a fairly good mystery and I’m still a Gerritsen fan.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Started October 7th, 2012 - this morning after finishing "John Doe" last night.
Great read! Keeps you guessing till near the end. Nice twists. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Can it be a coincidence when three teens end up at a school, each having been the sole survivor of their families' violent murders, followed by the murder of their foster families as well. Rizzoli and Isles get to the bottom of the situation, just in the nick of time, at an isolated Maine boarding school for teen victims. ( )
  sleahey | Mar 22, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345515528, Mass Market Paperback)

From Author Tess Gerritsen: Why I Wrote Last To Die

Tess Gerritsen

When I was ten years old, I got a fingerprint kit for my birthday. I'd been obsessed with Nancy Drew mystery novels, and I was convinced that I, too, could be a spunky girl detective and track down all the dangerous criminals lurking in my suburban San Diego neighborhood. The fingerprint kit consisted of a brush and a baggie of black powder. I practiced by dusting various surfaces in my house, blowing off the excess powder, and using Scotch tape to capture the patterns. I never nabbed any dangerous criminals, but I did discover the interesting fact that fingerprint powder is really hard to clean off white walls and furniture.

Thus ended my career as spunky girl detective.

The years passed and I grew up to become a doctor and then a thriller novelist, but I never forgot my childhood fantasy of being a crime-fighter. I realize now that it was a variation of a universal fantasy we all share: that even ordinary people can do extraordinary things. It's a theme we see often in fiction and in movies: Harry Potter, the despised boy living under the stairs, becomes the world's greatest wizard. Luke Skywalker, a farm boy, becomes a Jedi knight. So why couldn't a mere kid help catch a criminal?

In my newest novel Last to Die, that's exactly what happens.

It's the tenth in my Rizzoli and Isles crime series starring homicide detective Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner Maura Isles. This time they're on the hunt for a killer who's stalking three surviving orphans of different family massacres. Assisting Jane and Maura are a few brilliant young sleuths who belong to The Jackals, a student forensics club at the remote and mysterious Evensong boarding school. The three threatened orphans--Claire, Will, and Teddy--are now sheltered at Evensong, where frightening new events at the school make Jane Rizzoli wonder if the killer has tracked the orphans to the isolated sanctuary that was supposed to keep them safe.

But Evensong is no ordinary school, and Evensong's students are certainly not ordinary children. Among the students is sixteen-year-old Julian "Rat" Perkins, who saved Maura's life in my book Ice Cold.  As president of The Jackals Club, Julian leads this oddball group of amateur detectives, and they have more than a few tricks up their sleeves--tricks that may save the lives of Jane and Maura.

I never fulfilled my childhood fantasy of being a girl sleuth who catches bad guys. But I can finally bring that fantasy to life in Last to Die, where it just might be the kids who bring down the killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 19 Jun 2016 20:20:08 -0400)

"For the second time in his short life, fourteen-year-old Teddy Clock has survived a massacre. Orphaned once more when his foster family is murdered, the traumatized teenager has nowhere to turn - until the Boston PD puts detective Jane Rizzoli on the case. Jane spirits Teddy to the exclusive Evensong boarding school, a sanctuary where young victims of violent crime learn vital skills of survival. But even behind locked gates, Jane fears that Evensong's benefactors aren't the only ones watching. and when she learns of two other students whose pasts bear a shocking resemblance to Teddy's, it beocmes chillingly clear that a circling predator has more than one victim in mind. Joining forces with medical examiner Maura Isles, Jane races to stop an obsessed killer's twisted quest - before an unspeakable secret dooms the children's fate."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible