Red Sunset by Rowena Sudbury

by Rowena Sudbury

113,689,591 (2)None
Recently added bySheReadsALot

A Hearts On Fire Review

TWO & A HALF STARS--Rowena Sudbury's "Red Sunset" is a sequel to "Blue Moon" a story about pro-wrestlers falling in love. And in "Red Sunset" the two MC are an established couple. I have not read the first book and would suggest to read book #1 to get a better understanding (I didn't know the MC physical characteristics - hair color, eye color, etc.)

I have never read MM featuring wrestlers as the main characters. And after reading, I hope there will be more MM with wrestler MC because there is an entire sports world waiting to be tapped. ;P

Brad is let go from his and Scott's wrestling association with a lame excuse for being a pothead. However both men know the real reason Brad was let go was due to both men being in a gay relationship. Anything done about legally? Nope. Brad had sex with Scott to get over being let go. Then accepts a job to wrestle in Japan for six weeks. Brad is successful in Japan with a minor hiccup. He misses his lover and comes home at the end of his contract.

Did he go back to his old American wrestling job? Nope.

Was anything resolved about being cut from his job in the first place? Nope.

What was his answer to being distraught? He has sex with Scott. They question each other's love. At the end of the story, they figured out saying 'I love you' means that 'I love you'. *eye roll*

The sex, while having a few variations here and there, was basically the same scene- Scott kisses Brad, there's some form of anal foreplay, Scott gets lube and a condom, insert, come and throw away used paraphernalia. No spice. No surprise. Just...rinse, repeat and recycle. There were D/s elements thrown in that I liked but I believed neither main character's conviction.

If both men are in a committed relationship with both partners understanding they are equals in their relationship, declarations of "love" has been made over and over...why are both men questioning something they both already know. Neither man had an inclination to cheat or look for an outside partner. It was confusing to me.

At the end of this book, I'm left questioning: WHY? What exactly was the purpose of this book? There's no conflict, any form or hint to possible problems was dropped to the wayside. There was a possible non-consensual scene, which did not happen. Yet the possible perpetrator had potential to be a bad guy, throw in some conflict to the weak story line but he didn't.

I didn't read book #1 but it seemed like there was not enough steam to carry book #2. Both main characters were talking to each other as if they just met. How are you in a relationship and you don't know where your lover called home prior to meeting you. The book states these two talk quite a bit to each other - don't you think that's maybe something to discuss?

*sighs*

Would I recommend? It's not a bad story. It's an okay story. But do you want to read the next okay story or would you rather search for the next great story?

Would I read more from this author? Probably. The ideas are there." ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,651,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible