Mending the Rift by Chris T. Kat

Author – Chris T. Kat
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages - 214

Movie Potential – ★★★★★
Ease of reading – very easy to read and follow
Would I read it again – Hell Yes!

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **
Reviewed for Divine Magazine

This one blew me away. All the m-preg stories I've read before have only ever involved skimming past the pregnancy stage or the birth itself. This story is so completely well rounded that I goggled at some of the negative reviews in astonishment! While a part of me violently wants to argue and find out what is wrong with people who didn't LOVE this book to pieces, I'll refrain and only say my piece.

~

To start with, the world that is created here – a divided world between Northern Confederate and the Southern Union, whether the world has taken extreme scientific leeway to create male and female “breeders” to keep the population alive – is so well thought out and accomplished that it was like being transported into another world. However, on the same note, there are such normal things that we're all comfortable with, that the story never feels too foreign or too out of the realm of possibilities. We're well acquainted with the idea of a Norther Confederate and Southern Union idea, as well as a Third World War laying waste to millions of life and causing reactions that severely damage the human population. Sadly, all these things have a basis in real history, so it's not hard to imagine it happening again.

As for the relationship between Marcus and Luca; I've seen complaints in reviews about how they're already a couple and there's no build up of a relationships, but I have to seriously agree here. It doesn't feel like we've missed all the awkward to-and-fro of their get-together, because they're NOT a couple at the beginning of the book. They've developed feelings and only ever acted on it once. A situation which – because of Luca having had other sexual relationships and because male breeders need to be inseminated, not have sex, to have kids – has no real bearing on their future together. Neither does it secure their future or imply they'll ever have one.

That was the really interesting part for me. I love established couples, new couples and such, but we rarely see couples like this, who have hidden feelings, have acted on it but know they can't be together. That's a journey right there and it was one that kept me hooked right from the start, because there was this constant wonder of whether Luca would get his Happily Ever After or not.

The story began with a tight grip, hooking me from the first paragraph, until I couldn't – and literally, didn't – put it down unless I desperately had to. I read it in one day, in one sitting, and my only regret is that it's over and there's not another one in the series to pick up yet.

There is so much detail in every important aspect, that it would be impossible to describe how well formed this world became. From the pregnancy, the world, the mood swings, the action and the entire concept of the breeders, were all thoroughly encapsulated into understandable, relateable ideas and reactions.

When the story progressed and Luca endured everything he did in the Southern Union, I cried my eyes out for the cruelty, the brutality and the lack of respect for human life. Yet, all these things are frighteningly based on real things that will be happening to people in the world today or have happened in the past. Even when the painful parts were over, Luca still encountered flashbacks, problems, nerves, fear and all those natural feelings that come with his experiences.

As for the characters, I loved them all. Luca, Nicholas, Greg, Kyle and Keith were amazing. Marcus was a bit macho for me at times, while I felt weird for actually liking Smith and knowing he had an ulterior motive for what he was doing. I really loved Marcus' nickname for Luca too; kitten. I've never seen that in a book before, but it's adorable.
“A kitten with claws, I see.”

And...that's all. I can't tell you any more about it, except that you HAVE to read it and find out for yourself. There were too many feels in this for me to describe how it made me feel or what I loved most. Nearly all of what I'd want to tell you would be spoilers and I don't want to spoil this for you. It's too good for that. So go read it. Then you'll understand.

~

Overall, the story was so adorable that when I wasn't smiling my through pages and pages of drama, I was clutching my Kindle tight, hoping the actions scenes would be resolved quickly.

This one was a little bundle of action packed goodies, with a sweet romance, trouble-making family members and a whole lot of drama thrown into the mix.

I will now be seeking out every other book by this author and purging on them all!

Favourite Quote

“Marcus. That was Marcus' voice. Luca's lower lip trembled in utter relief. He was safe. He had to be.” ( )
  ElleLainey | Dec 30, 2017 |
A future in which humankind has almost destroyed itself using chemical and biological warfare is, unfortunately, not all that difficult to imagine. In ‘Mending the Rift’, author Chris T. Kat has taken this scenario a step further, assuming that almost complete sterility is one of the consequences of World War Three, leaving only a small group of humans able to reproduce – the so-called “breeders”. In line with the advanced genetic engineering capabilities of this future, there are now both women and men able to carry children, and they are the only ones able to repopulate the planet. The bigger political picture (reminiscent of the American Civil War in both attitude and behavior of these two factions) has Earth split up into a Northern Confederacy, where breeders have at least some rights, and the Southern Union, where breeders have no rights, are experimented upon, and genetic engineering is used to create “perfect soldiers”. This story is set two hundred years after that war between North and South.

The political and social consequences of the war are severe and are seen through the eyes of one such breeder: Luca, the son of the Northern Confederacy’s vice president. Luca is somewhat of a rebel since he has decided he wants to marry for love, like his father and dad. He knows he will have to bear at least five children, such is the law, but at the very least he wants to be tied to someone who means more to him than a man selected for genetic compatibility. Luca has already refused a whole list of potential matches, and he knows he can only do that because his father is the vice president. But time is running out for Luca – he has been ordered to marry one Liam Smith despite the fact that Luca has fallen in love with his bodyguard, Marcus. Marcus is not high enough in the hierarchy to make the list of men who are “entitled” to a breeder match, so the situation looks pretty hopeless. But then Luca finds himself pregnant with Marcus’s baby, and all hell breaks loose.

What follows is a combination of an action/adventure and a coming of age story, with a major touch of what it’s like for Luca to live through his first pregnancy. Liam Smith is livid about Luca refusing to marry him and will do anything to get his hands on Luca – baby or no baby. Luca has to begin dealing with the reality of life and political issues he really wasn’t very aware of due to the pretty sheltered life he has led. And through it all weaves the constant happiness and worry of being pregnant and having to find a way to protect his unborn baby. Mistakes are made by all sides in this conflict, a few revelations boggled my mind, and a whole cast of secondary characters make this an intense but touching thriller-like novel that held my attention from beginning to end.

If you like stories that make your imagination get some serious exercise, if you want to find out more about two men who live in a world where their love is forbidden but not because they are gay, and if you’re looking for a suspenseful read that is as thought-provoking as it is intense, then you will probably like this novel as much as I did, I think it’s an interesting way of looking at the age-old issue of human survival and what we are wiling to do/tolerate to make it happen.

NOTE: This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews. ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |

In a future where man’s ability to reproduce is severely compromised, humanity has adapted to survive. Breeders—male and female—have become precious commodities, and they are strictly guarded and subject to limitations.

Luca Walker is a breeder. Though he knows what’s expected of him as the youngest son of the Northern Confederacy’s Vice President, he’s held out against the pressures of an arranged marriage because he longs to marry for love, not duty. But he’s been promised to Colonel Liam Smith and there’s little he can do about it, no matter that Luca is secretly in love with his bodyguard, Marcus Gray.

When Luca finds himself pregnant with Marcus’s baby, Smith is furious and vows to take what is his—by force, if necessary. Now Luca must fight for his life and the life of his unborn child… as well as the love of Marcus and the happily ever after he’s always dreamed of.

When Luca finds himself pregnant with Marcus's baby, can he win the fight for his life and that of his unborn child?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,747,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible