His: Manlove Edition by Nicola Cameron

His: Manlove Edition

by Nicola Cameron

113,689,591 (2)None
Recently added bySheReadsALot

Read the anthology, reviewed each story - there were a few winners, a lackluster story and two that just weren't good. I'll leave my summary at the end of this review. His: Manlove Edition promised possessive alpha like characters and none of them delivered this. The stories are:

In His Name - 4 stars - 9/11/13

Sean, a priest is forced on a six month sabbatical from his church to see if he's still interested in being a priest since he:

1) recently discovered he was gay
2) was discovered masturbating in a straight priest's bed.

He reevaluates his vow of celibacy at a local shelter. The shelter's manager, Matt is a Unitarian minister with a secret. I must say even with knowing the anthology's theme, I did not expect the twist with Matt. I enjoyed the story though Matt wasn't really a possessive, dominant force. And even if the story spanned for months, it felt like mere days especially with the declarations of 'I love you'. Quick, sweet read. Plus we get an older virgin and older MC, I really liked that part. I would read more from this author.

Garden of Eden - 0 stars - 9/12/13 - DNF Delight

Whomp, whomp!! BDSM 101 mixed in with a virgin Goth and a Dom (allegedly). I was bored. DNF!

This Stage of Life - Rated Black Hole - Sucker of Stars 9/13-10/7!!! WTF!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. No. No! NO!!!

I.

Can't.

*laughs uncontrollably*

WOW! You know a read that's so bad you can't help but read it because you have to see where the author is going? You know it's a variable shit storm but whatevs, you might as well finish.

That's this.

Let's set up the scene, shall we?

A former high school student ten years or so later (I don't even care at this point) returns to school during a visit and sees his high school crush & straight" former teacher. The teacher invites his male student over to his house to eat Thai food. They start discussing his teacher's deceased wife and how she died. The teacher leaves the room.

You think he went to go get a box of tissues? Nope.

He comes back wearing a leather Y harness and silver cock ring! And starts ordering around the other guy like some lame wannabe BDSM superhero, Cap'n Lame-o.

We go from talking about dead wife...to that. Lame-o demands consent from his crush, tells him not to be hasty but demands it anyway.

Then Cap'n Lame-o demands the former student into some weird puppy play and I just can't.(I love well written puppy play but this sucks...and not in a good way. It's bizarre. There's light whipping with a leash, bad dialogue and even lamer sex...if you want to count the blowjob/handjob combo as such.

I would have ran my ass out of there if it happened to me.

But Andrew the student was in lame BDSM heaven. Him and Cap'n Lame-o? They are perfect for one another.

This is rated black hole No stars!! It's 2 thumbs down x 2!

Just take my hand...we need to get the hell out of here!!!

Campaigning for the Billionaire - 3.5 stars - 10/8/13

Whew. This was sort of back on track.

27 year old campaign staffer and statistics geek, Dylan meets 43 year old self made billionaire and U.S. Senator hopeful, Charles late night during a caffeine break. Dylan had never thought he'd ever come so close to the man on top. But he does and can't help but fall for the charismatic, openly gay man.

The two get together, it was inevitable. But it got cheesy at points with declarations of 'you are too good for me' so soon. The men come together, get torn apart (It was fucked up on Charles' part) and have lackluster make up sex. Steam factor: 5 out of 10.

But this story is miles better than the black hole preceding it. I like the main ideas the story has. Maybe with more length and character development, it might have been a knockout. I especially enjoyed the politician /staffer romance angle.

Good story but not extremely memorable. But I'd read again from this author.

Date with a Stranger - 2 stars - 10/8/13

A rich guy goes to a bar that caters to higher end clientele. He's cruising for a higher end hookup with a stranger. He meets one. They get together. There's a cutesy twist.

I didn't care for the sugar or the pretentiousness. I could have cared less with the outcome. But I finished. So that's something, I guess.

Meh.

Overall: 2.5 stories are worth reading out of 5...2.5.

Is it worth the purchase? No. This is more of a lend type of book, which sucks because 2 authors show promise.

My final average: 4 0 Black Hole (if only I could make it a negative - 0 for math purposes) 3.5 2 = 1.9 stars

I'll round to 2 STARS
" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,675,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible