Guarding My Heart by S.C. Wynne

by S.C. Wynne

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added bySheReadsALot

A Hearts On Fire Review

2.75 HEARTS--Bodyguard romance, a tried and true trope. I don't get tired of classic tropes, there's always a new way to twist them or add interesting characters.

This story...not so much.

Liam is the spoiled rich son of a small town's winery owner. He's twenty four, dropped out of college to find himself after the love of his life left him to be in the closet and marry a woman. Liam still pines of his true love who did not return his feelings and used him for sex. Also Liam and his family are scared because their rich so they hire bodyguards to prevent threats. Liam takes this with a grain of salt and parties it up to get over his love...getting his bodyguard hurt in the process. Enter his new bodyguard, Scott, an ex-Marine with a past. *waves dramatic fingers*

The two become close...yadda, yadda, yadda, sex, insta-love, weak suspense, the end.

I love 1st person POV, adore it. I feel you get a better sense of the character...when done right. All I got from Liam is that he's superficial, bratty, spoiled and not that nice as he thinks he is. He also could be painted with the TSTL paint brush. He supposedly lost the love of his life to a woman, he alluded to being in a bad place--but no definite evidence was provided to endear him to the reader. It's just brushed off. Ball dropped.

The tone was more dull. And also a lot of the times Liam's POV was interchangeable with other characters. You could switch Liam with his father or mother or his parents' bodyguard or even the other MC...same voice. I was bored because everyone basically thought the same, knew the end to the corny jokes, knew what the other was thinking.

And when I'm bored, I tend to get nitpicky: an example, if the bodyguard MC is supposedly a 'Marine', he forgot his training the moment he met Liam-bad bodyguard, drinking with the client, etc.? (I'm not counting sleeping with his charge because it's bodyguard romance) C'mon.

Or the 'bad guy(s)'...why? Their reasoning made no sense whatsoever. And excuse me, 'bad guy', but you shoot at people not to "hurt" them? Excuse me? Did I read that correctly? Why else would you use a high powered rifle with bullets? You wanted to play tag with human bodies? The suspense or whatever that was...fail.

*sighs*

I think I see the main ideas and where the author wanted to go with it.

The story is more filler than content-if the main character does not like working in a winery, he sure did love working there. More detail went into describing the winery and the work done there then into developing the characters. Thankfully, this was not an introduction to this author's work for me. Because the other book was better.

Will I try more from this author? Yes. I'm hoping this was fluke.

Missed the mark. But there's potential." ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,947,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible