In the Blaze of His Hungers

In the Blaze of His Hungers

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added bySheReadsALot

Yes, I know the premise might not be for everyone but this book is hot. It's on fire. El fuego. Forget the title. It was dirty, filthy, raunchy and I likes it muchly.

This book makes me want to:

Seriously. It's hot as shit. And I am so happy when a freebie turns out to be a winner.

I am the pug. The ball is this book and the main characters. The story is not a one trick pony. Just thinking about some parts makes me:

Let me catch my breath. The writing is pretty great, which I kind of expected since this is not my first Dominique Frost. I dug her writing then and I dig it now. I think she's dope. She writes snarky, fun, erotic, flawed pretty frigging well in my opinion.

I am in the beginning stages of like with her writing. I might pass her writing a note next time in class, ask it to check the box if you like me, yes or no.

Here's a slice:

Okay. Oh-kay.

Re-cap. He just had a man come in his mouth. He liked it. He may be embarking on anal sex, soon, if he was reading the subtext right.

Options: stay or leave.
Pros of staying: first experience with anal sex.
Cons of staying: first experience with anal sex.
No, no. That isn't right.
Pros of staying: first experience with anal sex.
Cons of staying: not being able to face Pete the next day. Maybe ever.
The thing about sex, though, as Ryan is discovering, is that it's a goddamn persuasive motivator. It fucks with people's minds."

The forbidden sex aspect can only take a story so far. You have a barely legal eighteen year old, Ryan who starts a sexual relationship with his best friend's estranged father, Javier. This sounds like the making a of a nifty.org story (don't act like you don't know that site). The two start a sexual relationship with Ryan popping that butt cherry...lovely.

But here's the kicker, the story doesn't try to dress up the situation or stick this in remote PWP-land. No, it owns the wrongness of the relationship. Both main characters give just enough (alright I wish there was more story just because I think thirty or so more pages might have lent more depth) to make the outcome of their relationship believable.

This story is not without flaws, some points felt rushed. I'm not in love with the title. Sometimes Ryan came across older than his age, granted he was raised in a single parent home so he may have had an increase to his responsibilities. There were times Ryan came across as teenager and then sometimes he felt like mid-twenties. The relationships especially those of the best friends (Ryan and Javier's son Pete) and family left a decent enough impression.

And Javier, what 37 year old does this? I liked him. Asshole tendencies and fucked-up-ness and all. He spoke great whether it was from his feelings or in the bedroom:

"What I want is to tie you up and blindfold you and make you learn my touch, so you can't come with anyone else touching you, can't sleep in the dark without remembering my hand on you." Javier's voice drops even further, hushed, secret, only between them. "What I want is to ruin you for anyone else, shape you into something only my hands can hold."

*licks lips*

Javier...oh Javier...

There was more than just sex in this story. And I really liked it. Who would think an older ex-junkie and a high school senior could have a relationship? A fucked up situation that both parties own turned into something beautiful. I liked the ending, it felt more realistic.

I already have the rest of this author's work in my TBR. I definitely plan on reading more. I like her tone.
" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,943,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible