Pudding Jones

Pudding Jones

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added bySheReadsALot

A Hearts On Fire Review

FOUR STARS--Bittersweet...100% defines this book. There is no happy ending. There is MC death. So if this would make or break you...don't come down this path. It is a sad one.

So what exactly is a Pudding Jones? He's the local homeless man chosen for a human interest story to stop a company from moving into an abandoned development. Pudding chose reporter Emmer Richfield to interview him and share his story. Why? We never learn. When asked, Pudding would answer back with a question.

The story is told from Emmer's POV. He's a world traveled journalist, not interested in doing a puff piece and could less about Pudding Jones or the homeless. He's seen homeless and war torn countries. He's not jaded but not as invested in the having to do the interview.

When we first meet Pudding, he is not what Emmer expected. He's not what I expected. Pudding has one hell of a story to tell - it's full of pain, past abuse and mental illness. Is his name really Pudding? No and we also do not learn his name.

And it is not necessary. This is the quote from the story that hooked me.

"When your name is called too many times in the wrong situation by the wrong person, you tend to dislike it."

The story is not graphic in the least. The way the author described of Pudding's mental illness, the reason why Pudding Jones is the way he is he...it leaves quite an impression.

"How many times have you looked the other way? How many times has you gut told you something was more than what it seemed, and the first thing that popped into your head was stay out of it, it's not my problem? How many times?"

As Emmer interviews Pudding, Emmer changes some of his habits and ways. He feels guilty for having so many items while the homeless in their small town are without. Emmer starts to donate but not accolades...just because he starts to pay attention and be more aware of those in need.

"Everyone does it. It doesn't mean you're a bad man. It just means you're not as good of one as you should be."

With the spotlight on the homeless and their many tales and sad ending...you can be surprised that there is some romance in this story. And it was sweet...even a sexy time moment.

"Why me?" I fought to bring my breathing back to normal.
"You treat me like a person."
"You are a person," I whispered.
"Can I be your person?"
He looked up at me, tears standing in his eyes. I chuckled softly, turned, and tucked him against me. "I think you already are."

I loved Emmer and Pudding fall for one another. The build was simple and beautiful. I was getting all pink and soft from the romance build. And then ending happened...it does stomp on the heart a smidge. (I did not cry but some readers might ball from the ending. It tugs hard on the heartstrings.)

"Pudding Jones" is a good story with an important message: don't judge those who have less than you.

I do wish there was a happy ending but I still will say kudos to the author for writing the story this way.

*hugs for all*
" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible