The Italian Connection 2

The Italian Connection 2

113,689,591 (2)None
Recently added bySheReadsALot

A Hearts On Fire Review

TWO & A HALF STARS--"The Italian Connection 2" is the continuation of Alex Akira's "The Italian Connection 1". The author split the book into two parts. And usually with the second part- there's more action. And based on my review for part 1, it was desperately needed.

As mentioned in the previous review, Part 1 was bogged down by too many plot lines, too many characters and characterizations, and too many words. This did not change in Part 2. And while I mentioned there was more action, it didn't save this drawn out story. Like previously stated, the main ideas were interesting but the characters had too much going on.

And some scenes were touching the line of absurd. An example being a good guy saves the day with two sticks of butter and a bible. Are you wondering what in the world am I talking about? Because I couldn't believe it myself when reading it. And who would have two sticks of butter lying around in a motel? I started to not care at this point. What will be seems to just...be.

Julian, Philippe and the gang are involved in what seemed like an over stretched out version of a second rate crime show. Once again, the repeating of the same phrases, characterizations, it felt too much. I'll try not to rehash too much on those points since it was expected to continue in Part 2.

But as I stated in the beginning, this part was slightly better than part 2 (well until the unnecessary epilogue).

What or should I say whom caught my interest?

My favorite character of the series, Jun Wanatabe, the villain. He was not the best villain I've read. (His kidnapping skills could have been a little bit better) But compared to the other characters in this book? He was stellar. He was a violent, drug abusing, torturer that added some sort of life from this heavily worded melodrama. I wish he had more time in the book. In a drowning sea of apricot flavored bodies and butterscotch honey spit (I swear), he was a dangerous (yet exciting) breath of fresh air. I was quite put out when he was defeated. He should have wreaked more havoc.

The story peaked with Jun and then plateaued since then at about 55%. And then when the 'couple' had there separate time, it got a little weird and I guess an added paranormal character(s) was introduced? I don't know. I'm not that worked up about it. At this point, it's whatever. If Santa Claus showed up doing the running man naked on Philippe's face, I'd just go with it and not question it before something else weird popped up.

So good overcomes evil, the weak Julian and the lily-white Philippe find love somehow. The ending was anti-climatic and yadda yadda. It's a sticky sweet HEA.

Will I be reading the other books in the series? All fingers are pointing to no.

So I'll end on a nice note: the covers for all of the books in the series are beautifully hand-drawn." ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,853,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible