The Bear's True Mate (Divergent Species #1)…

The Bear's True Mate (Divergent Species #1)

by Elizabeth Monvey

322,001,085 (3.17)None
Recently added bySerenaYates, SheReadsALot
gay (1) m-preg (1) read (1) shifters (1)

Turns out that humans aren’t the only ones who do stupid things when given the choice between the perfect mate (who happens to be the same sex) and a mate they can have children with. It’s not something seen often in shifter books, but it makes for an interesting “what if” story. And with the way the author has set up this world, where shifters are not known to exist except by a group of cruel hunters and scientists without a conscience, this “what if” turns out to be a lot more complicated than I expected.

Henry is a bear shifter and, as it turns out, he made a horrible mistake when he turned away his fated mate, bear shifter Ajay. Henry had decided he needed a wife so he could have cubs. In a cruel twist of fate his wife is killed by the hunters and Henry ends up running into Ajay again. But does he talk to the man? Of course not! Well, not at first, and when he does, Ajay is less than receptive. Plus Henry has to deal with feeling guilty with going on with his life while his wife is dead. Henry has just begun to deal with most of it when the big shock has him and Ajay reeling.

Ajay may be many things but he is not a cheater. When Henry frees him after many months in some scientist’s lab, Ajay has no idea Henry’s wife is dead. So when Henry tries to kiss him, Ajay pushes him away and ignores him. Then he finds out Henry’s wife has died – but while that opens up the possibility of a relationship, it doesn’t mean he can just forget that Henry lied to him about being married and didn’t follow the mating bond once before. The whole situation might have ended in a stalemate if Ajay hadn’t found out he is pregnant. It’s something that isn’t supposed to be possible and it definitely makes both Ajay and Henry reevaluate their options.

If you like shifter worlds with unexpected twists and turns, if fated mates being rejected only to find out they can be with their destined partner after all piques your interest, and if you’re looking for a short, hot read that is part of a series and a longer story arc, then you might like this novella. This slightly different approach to male pregnancy certainly has me curious.

NOTE: This book was provided by Evernight Publishing for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews. ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |
A Hearts On Fire Review

2.5 HEARTS--Oh dear.

You know those cheesy Lifetime movies? If you've never been so lucky to experience one, let me help you out. They're movies where the plot is pretty basic and the twist can be seen a galaxy away. The actors are bad, you wonder how'd they even get the job. And yet you can't seem to stop watching. The entire thing is a train wreck.

"The Bear's True Mate" was one of those movies for me in a book.

It had me squinting my eyes. Heck, I'm squinting my eyes in disdain right now as I type. Because the characters were one dimensional. And any time it seemed like there was a hint of depth or character peeking through, the cheesiness just flattened it over again.

When bear shifter Ajay meets his true mate, fellow bear shifter Henry McShane, while working at a supermarket, his bear recognizes his mate. They flirt, have mere kisses only and get to know one another. The feelings seem mutual (the reader is only told through flashbacks). But Henry has a secret- a wife. They separate once it comes to light. Cut to months late, and Ajay is being saved by Henry from a secret scientific experiment.

The what, why and how come is shaky and gets shakier because the world building is very basic. The author seems to worry more about setting up for the future couples then developing the main characters. Ajay is hurt but it's okay because sex will save the day. *smh* Instead of character growth...buttsex. :/

I am one of those readers who don't mind the miscommunication plots. But this was sloppy. Besides the telling, there was "I am mad at you for a past hurt BUT I don't want to talk about it now. And we can't talk about it at all. but let's screw plot device." It was slightly frustrating.

There was possessive sex. But I didn't really care for either main character. And the villain. *heavy sigh* What was her purpose? Every one just called her a bitch, she was evil without a purpose and one dimensional. Just disappointing. And when the final showdown happened, it just a total rushed and bland moment.

If you don't mind quick paranormal romances where anyone can be the characters, barely any world building, then you might like this.

It's not my first time reading this author but my first time reading paranormal from her. I doubt I'll read more of this series but you never know, those cheesy Lifetime movies might catch you on the right day, at the right time. *shrugs*

This story isn't memorable though, it had decent ideas.
" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,188,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible