Teach Me to Forget by Erica M. Chapman

Teach Me to Forget

by Erica M. Chapman

Ellery was in a car accident that left her younger sister dead. Unable to cope with her role in that tragedy, she becomes suicidal. Through coincidence, she meets Colter, who has his own secrets to bear. Somehow they find each other and true love saves the day. Life is not as perfect as this book, nor are happy endings guaranteed like the are here. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Mar 5, 2017 |
This was a well-written novel dealing with teenage suicide. I liked the range of characters, especially Ellery, who I felt so sorry for, and Colter was absolutely swoon-worthy.

"Teach Me to Forget" gave a realistic account of a teenage girl suffering from self-loathing, depression and guilt after the death of her younger sister, and how she tried to hide her true feelings from those close to her by being 'happy Ellery". It frightened me how relentless and determined she was to kill herself despite her friendships and new love. In fact the first chapter was gut-wrenching. I was horrified me at how meticulous Ellery had planned her suicide, right down to the fact that she had organised cleaners to come in and fix the mess so her mother wouldn't have to deal with it.

However, although dark, thankfully there were lighter, more hopeful moments throughout the book, and I loved the different dialogues between Ellery and her friends. Ellery, especially was engaging, witty and sarcastic.

One aspect that did disturb me was the death of Dean. I think much more should have been done to try and help him, especially when Ellery know and understood his plans. She didn't want him to to die and kept an eye on him, but this was too little, too late. Troubled kids, especially with suicidal tendencies like Ellery and Dean, need long-term, professional help, and I think the author should have made this message stronger and clearer. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 21, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,763,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible