Follow Me Down: A Novel by Sherri Smith

Follow Me Down: A Novel

by Sherri Smith

This was a really well written, exciting book. There are lots of twists and turns, and it keeps you guessing right up to the last few pages. Any fan of mystery or whodunnits will love this book. The pill popping sister is a really fleshed out character, and you will probably never guess who the killer is.

I won this from a goodreads giveaway ( )
  cdevine18 | Sep 17, 2017 |
This was a very ambivalent read for me. While I couldn't put the book down, eager to finally solve the mysteries of murder and disappearance, there where several parts where I was totally frustrated by the main character's unreasonable behavior and naive actions.

Mia Haas is contacted by the police who is searching for her brother. When she is told that Lucas is accused of having murdered one of his students, Mia immediately travels back to her hometown Wayoata. She is determined to find out what happened, as she is convinced that her brother can't be the murderer and fears that he may be a victim of crime himself. Trying desperately to figure out what happened to her brother and who the real murderer is, she treads on almost every foot available in town. However, the police as well as the residents of Wayoata have already convicted Lucas of being guilty for the gruesome murder, being sure that he fled town to escape punishment.

Which each day, Mia uncovers new secrets and intrigues that point to different suspects, but also plant seeds of doubt in her believe in her brother's innocence. However, Mia does not give up, even when intimidated and threatened herself.

The story took some really wild and unpredictable turns, more than once bordering on incredibility. Only at the very end the solution was presented as yet another surprising twist. I loved being left in the dark for so long and led on several different tracks only to find that they led to a dead end. However, at some point it almost became annoying to be given the runaround yet again. One detail that bothered me the whole time was Mia's pill abuse, which seemed a convenient way to explain away her repeatedly crude actions, but soon became tiring and superfluous. But in a weird way, these minor flaws also add to this suspenseful and surprising story's appeal.

(Thanks to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for a copy of the book, all opinions are my own) ( )
  misspider | Apr 5, 2017 |
Nice read ..nothing spectacular but nicely written suspense/drama ( )
  nubian_princesa | Mar 28, 2017 |
Sherri Smith has written two historical novels, but her newest book, Follow Me Down, is a thriller.

Smith takes us to Wayouta, North Dakota. Mia and her twin brother Lucas could not wait to escape this small town, their drunken mother and the claustrophobic nature of everyone knowing you - and your business. Mia has made a life for herself in Chicago and works as a pharmacist. A pharmacist who tends to sample the product too much. Her brother went back though and works as a teacher at the local high school. Mia ends up back in Wayouta as well - but only after her brother is accused of killing the high school girl he was allegedly sleeping with. There's no way her brother could do such a thing....could he?

Smith has created one of those insular towns and filled it with people who happily jump on the bandwagon of popular theory. Lucas is guilty - they just need to find him. The police are sure that Mia knows where he is. Mia, for her part is just as determined to find him and prove his innocence. Wayouta is filled with a plethora of suspects, odd ducks, a dark underbelly and a questionable police department.

Mia is the narrator of the book, but she is distinctly unreliable."My face was splotchy; grass was in my hair. And I did look crazy. I did. For a full minute, I wondered if I was. If the pills had made my brain go runny and soft. That maybe I couldn't trust any of my own memories. That for me, reality was a multiple-choice questionnaire." Her tenacity and bullheadedness are appealing. And she has a wicked sense of humour. I quite liked her voice.

Relationships - especially those between a mother and child, play a large (and heartbreaking) part in the plotting. Sibling ties are also a focus of Follow Me Down.

I found Follow Me Down a bit slow to get started, but the story picked up speed after the initial characters were introduced and the time and place were set. Smith gives us lots of suspects and throws in some red herrings along the way. The final whodunit? Didn't see it coming! If I had to describe the feel of the book, I would say modern Gothic with a psychological twist. ( )
1 vote Twink | Mar 20, 2017 |

Mia Haas has built a life for herself far from the North Dakota town where she grew up, but when she receives word that her twin brother is missing, she’s forced to return home. Once hailed as the golden boy of their small town, Lucas Haas disappeared the same day the body of one of his high school students is pulled from the river. Trying to wrap her head around the rumors of Lucas’s affair with the teen, and unable to reconcile the media’s portrayal of Lucas as a murderer with her own memories of him, Mia is desperate to find another suspect.

All the while, she wonders, if he’s innocent, why did he run?

As Mia reevaluates their difficult, shared history and launches her own investigation into the grisly murder, she uncovers secrets that could exonerate Lucas―or seal his fate. In a small town where everyone’s history is intertwined, Mia will be forced to confront her own demons, placing her right in the killer’s crosshairs.

Follow Me Down is a rare find―a gutsy, visceral, and beautifully crafted psychological thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 31 Jul 2016 07:43:12 -0400)

"Mia Haas has built a life for herself far from the North Dakota town where she grew up, but when she receives word that her twin brother is missing, she's forced to return home. Once hailed as the golden boy of their small town, Lucas Haas disappeared the same day the body of one of his high school students is pulled from the river. Trying to wrap her head around the rumors of Lucas's affair with the teen, and unable to reconcile the media's portrayal of Lucas as a murderer with her own memories of him, Mia is desperate to find another suspect. All the while, she wonders, if he's innocent, why did he run? As Mia reevaluates their difficult, shared history and launches her own investigation into the grisly murder, she uncovers secrets that could exonerate Lucas -- or seal his fate. In a small town where everyone's history is intertwined, Mia will be forced to confront her own demons, placing her right in the killer's crosshairs. Follow Me Down is a rare find -- a gutsy, visceral, and beautifully crafted psychological thriller."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,375,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible