Everywhere and All Around by Pimm van Hest

Everywhere and All Around

by Pimm van Hest

322,001,085 (4.5)None
Recently added bySanlema, Shadow494

Yolanda's mom has died, and she misses her so much. Yolanda wants to know where her mom is, so she goes looking for her. When she sees her little bother talking to his stuffed bunny, she understands her mom is in the bunny. When she asks her father, he says for him Yolanda's mom is in many things around the house that remind him of her. For her Aunt Christina mom is in the stories we share about her. Grandpa finds mom in nature, specially in roses. Grandma sees mom in Yolanda. For Willa, mom's best friend, mom is in the wind. Mom is also in the stars which light the dark night, as Yolanda's teacher says. Yolanda understands that mom is everywhere.

Everywhere and all around is at the same time sad and full of hope and love. Yolanda makes the hard trip from sorrow because of her mom's death, to the comfort and confidence of knowing mom will still be there if she remembers and looks for her. The illustrations accompany perfectly the story, from dark and sad at the beginning, to colorful and illuminated at the end. Death is a hard topic to talk to a kid who has lost a beloved one, and I think this story faces it in a respectful and appropriate way. This is a 5 stars book for me.

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Find more children's book reviews in Reviews in Chalk ( )
  Sanlema | Jul 5, 2016 |
I received a free ebook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wow! This was a touching story about a little girl, Yolanda, who has just lost her mom. Written in a poetic tone, it inspires hope. I gave this story four stars, but think the writing is more of a three. It's good, but nothing special. The reason I gave it four was for the beautiful artwork, and for the heavy subject matter. Written for children 5 and up, I can relate to the need for books helping children understand death and loss. I lost my grandma at this age, and its hard. This book helps explain that death doesn't have to be the end, as long as we remember them, they will always be with us. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |

Yolanda's mom has died. One moment she was breathing. And the next moment she wasn't. She was there, and yet she wasn't. Where could her mom be now? "if you look for me, my darling, you will find me," her mom had told her. So Yolanda decides to go looking. Looking for her mom who died. Along the way she gets some help and insights from some wonderful people.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,251,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible