Almost a Full Moon by Hawksley Workman

Almost a Full Moon

by Hawksley Workman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The first thing I appreciated about this book was the artwork. Jensine Eckwall has created a charming world from the cover art depicting a cabin in the snowy woods, to a cozy cabin. The artwork tells a story of relationships and shared experiences, love between the grandmother and grandson, and warmth and welcoming of an increasingly diverse (and ultimately fantastical) set of visitors.
I wasn't instantly in love with the story itself though, and in fact found the text awkward to read. That all changed when I discovered the song that this book was based on, which gave the words, and ultimately the story, a cadence and rhythm that give it life. The song was a revelation, and it gave me an entirely new appreciation for this wonderful book.
  kmctigue2002 | Mar 16, 2017 |
Usually it is the illustrations that drive the story. In this book, the opposite is true. While the illustrations are lovely, the story is simply delightful. It is a soft tale of snow, soup, solidarity, and love.

Crisp snow surrounds the country house, and as a boy walks his dog and collects fire wood, his grandmother is stirring soup. As the boy helps stir the soup, his grandmother tells him the soup should be made because it is turning cold. The moon is almost full, and the candles are burning low. Outside, folk with boots, sleds, snow shoes and ponies Tgather to the home where they are welcomed with soup.

"No one is different and No one is alone." This is a tale of softness and generosity as all are gathered round the table.

It was a perfect time to read this soft book. We had a snow fall last night; it was a pretty snow fall, a snow globe type of snow fall.
  Whisper1 | Feb 9, 2017 |
What a tender little book is Almost a Full Moon.
Written by Hawksley Workman, illustrated by Jenise Eckwall, published by Tundra Books distributed by Penguin Random House Canada, this precious, tender, wonderfully structured children's book is dedicated as says the author at the granny because she "Encouraged me to see the little bits as magical and wonderful."
There is a little boy, who, with his dog return at his granny's cabin and his granny suggests him to help her to prepare a soup because "The weather is turning cold."
It's winter and it is snowing.
This children's book is warm, for the message that wants to spread: solidarity, friendship, love, to my point of view.
Yes because the kid's granny at the end will prepare the soup for everyone else, because "Everyone feels the cold" and also "We'll make enough to feed everyone we don't."
During the short tale wonderfully illustrated, the arrival of other people, friends and neighbors and it will be a great feast with colored balloons and joy and songs and happiness because staying together the best recipe for a good life.
At the end everyone will return home, at least there is Almost a full moon :-) and...some snow but after all it's a winter-night what could we pretend?
The little kid and his dog so go to bed, happy and satisfied for the great time spent with old and new friends while the granny, lighting a candle read a book sat on his chair, relaxing her mind before to go to bed. Oh, this little children's book is superb.
Please go for this little book for your children. Present to them a dream of the life as it should be and as it was and still it is in some corner of the world, plenty of solidarity, love for neighbors and friends and also for strangers.

It's a great gift for Christmas as well!

I thank NetGalley for this book!
  buckwriter | Jan 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The best part of this book is the illustrations. They are fabulous and there is so much to look at and discover on every page. The story is not really a story and so it didn't make sense to me or my 6 year old daughter when we read it. However, once I found out it is really the lyrics of a song, I played the song in the background while we looked at the book again and it was a fun experience. It's definitely a unique experience! ( )
  CrookedLines | Jan 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I immediately fell in love with this book. The illustrations are beautiful, and the story is so comforting. It reminded me of evenings with my grandparents, and encourages community, hospitality, and welcoming others into our worlds. ( )
  SandSing7 | Nov 30, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Hawksley Workman's book Almost a Full Moon is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible