The House on Sunset Lake by Tasmina Perry

The House on Sunset Lake

by Tasmina Perry

The House on Sunset Lake is a wonderfully written story about young love, destructive secrets, and second chances. I was quickly drawn into the story and I found both storylines equally interesting. Jim Johnson has never really gotten over his first love when he travels to America to oversee the transformation of Casa D'Or from a family home to hotel. But, a chance meeting with Jennifer brings the memories of a summer 20 years back to him and is there a second chance for them or have too much time gone by and are the secrets too dark for them to take on?

I found The House on Sunset Lake to be an interesting book, and I liked how two grown people got the chance to reconnect 20 years later after falling madly in love when they were young. It's also a tragic story, especially towards the end of the book when so much is revealed, like why Jennifer chooses to stay with Connor and marry him, despite loving Jim. I really felt for Jennifer while reading this book, her father barely knew her, and her mother was trying to control here, going so far as lying to her. There is a scene in this book towards the end of the book at Jennifer's birthday party when I just wished that Jennifer would have put down her foot when those close to her tried to make a big decision for her. I got so mad reading that part. And, it's now we are starting to learn what really happened all those years ago. I must confess that I was surprised to see where to story was going...

This book surprised me, it was much darker and tragic than I had expected. But, that's not bad, it just shows that life isn't always a dance on roses.

I want to thank Headline for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Jim Johnson goes with his parents to Savannah in the Deep South. Jim merts Jennifer Wyatt, the daughter of the owners of Casa D'Or, the plantation house by the lake. Jim and Jennifer very quickly get to know each other. That summer tragedy strikes. Twenty years later Jim is back to restore the house into a hotel.

This book appealed to me instantly. I loved the picture on the cover and the description of the story. The book sounded very much in the vain of Kate Morton. I enjoy these type of books as for me they are stories that pull me in and I can get lost in.

This book was ok. It had the story, the rambling house, likeable main characters and of course the big secret. I found the book however very flowery. It was what I call a surface book, as in it doesn't go too deep. When it came to the secret there was more than one. The one secret for me was one too much and didn't do anything for the story whats so ever. In a way it spolit the story, it wasn't needed. It seemed that all the characters needed their own secret which for me it didnt work.

The book was a pleasant read but I didn't feel as engrossed as I would have liked to. An average rambling house story.

Thank you to Headline via Netgalley for the chance to read and review the book. ( )
  tina1969 | Aug 4, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,875,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible