Where Wolves Run: A Novella of Horror by…

Where Wolves Run: A Novella of Horror

by Jason Parent

751,138,814 (4.2)None

Konrad and his mother live in a thick and forbidding forest outside of the town of Rattenberg where they are forced to fend for themselves while Konrad's father is often away on mysterious business. While his father is away on yet another trip, Konrad and his mother are attacked in their home and Konrad is brought face to face with what his father actually does for a living.
I hate spoilers so I won't say too much here about the events in the story itself. I will say that I was drawn into the story very quickly. Jason Parent has the skill of having a great imagination and being able to put that imagination into writing so well that before you know it, you are immersed in the story he is weaving. This novella doesn't just read as a simple werewolf story but has elements of gothic horror in it as well. I have read a few of his books and he is definitely one author to keep an eye on.
I received a copy from Corpus Press via Netgalley for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Veronica.Sparrow | Jul 24, 2017 |
My original Where Wolves Run audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Where Wolves Run was like listening to a fairytale classic. Set in Rattenberg in the Bavarian forests, we are introduced to Konrad, a young boy, living a simple life, spending his time at home with his loving mother. His father, once again, has left them taking care of "business" elsewhere. Konrad hardly knows his father and their relationship is strained. Then one night, the boy and his mother hear wolves surrounding their simple dwelling and Konrad's life changes abruptly.

This was my first book by Jason Parent and I really enjoyed his style of writing. His use of language is excellent making the story flow very well. The descriptive prose really made this reminiscent of traditional folk stories rather than one of the more modern werewolves horror stories. But it contained, of course, some nicely gruesome scenes, too. Considering this was a very short story, both, Konrad and his father, who remains unnamed throughout, were characterized in depth. It was easy to feel for them. The ending - although not unexpected - was done very well, and I liked that the author decided on this route. At only 1 hour and 55 minutes, this was perfect for listening to in one sitting. It easily held my attention throughout.

Jonathan Ip was a new narrator to me and this looks to be his first narration on Audible. He absolutely nailed it. I would happily listen to him narrate longer books. His voice is very pleasant, he speaks clearly and his pacing is good. Although there weren't many characters' voices to cope with, they were done distinctly and with some excellent use of accents. There were no issues with the production of the audio.

Overall, a little gem of a story, written and narrated impressively. I would certainly look out for other books by the author and by the narrator.

Audiobook was provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jun 28, 2017 |
I'm a huge fan of werewolf stories, I'm talking proper werewolves not over-sized puppies playing at being werewolves, so I couldn't resist this one especially as it's written by one of my must read favourite authors.

Where Wolves Run was a unique, interesting and fast read. The pacing of the story kept me on the edge of my seat. I found myself having to resist the urge to peek a little further down the page and having to purposely slow down as I was in a rush to see what happened next. I particularly enjoyed Konrad's character, it was refreshing to have a character who wasn't aware of what was going on and totally unprepared for what was ahead. Konrad having no prior knowledge of what he's dealing with allows the reader to join him on his journey, to learn along with him and to relate to his experience more as a result.

There was one thing that I feel spoiled it a little for me personally and that was how Konrad's father was referred to as Father rather than by his name. It didn't ruin the story but it did make him feel somewhat less of a person. However, it did put more focus onto Konrad so perhaps it was intentional.

I really enjoyed the ending. I usually have an idea of what I want the conclusion to be when reading a book and I love it when things get turned around and an author throws in a twist that takes things in a whole different direction from what I had envisioned. At first I was a little disappointed but as it sunk in I realised that it worked much better than what I had been expecting.

Definitely one I would recommend. ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Dec 9, 2016 |
This fast-paced novella concentrates on two characters: a boy and his father, who reveals himself as a werewolf hunter. While the father is away from home, the boy must find out himself whether the legends and stories about those evil creatures are true...

Offering a slightly different take on the genre, this book did not waste time with a detailed background story or long-winded explanations of the creatures' origin. After the reader is introduced to the characters and the current situation, the main part consists of the hunt - but not that of the werewolf, but of his hunter who is set on destroying the beasts who slaughtered his wife. But will he be able to make it back in time to save his boy?

The ending was partly predictable (with a fifty-fifty chance of the outcome) and I appreciated the author's choice. The plot was very focused and lacking any side-stories, which to others may seem too simple, but I found it highly entertaining. Sometimes less is more, and this is another great example for such a story where every sentence counts and you won't find any dead weight. ( )
  misspider | Jun 20, 2016 |
Review copy

A werewolf novella where the hunter is also the hunted.

No new ground is broken in Jason Parent's entry into this sub-genre, but he does deliver a solid tale with a twist in the final pages, and there are some cringe-worthy moments. "Most of Joren's fingernails, pried loose by Father's dagger, now resided in the bucket. A few were still attached to fingers. A couple of toes, several teeth, and most of an ear completed the collection."

If werewolves are your thing and you're looking for a quick read, Where Wolves Run, might not satisfy your hunger fully, but should be enough to take the edge off.

Where Wolves Run is published by Corpus Press and is available in both e-book and paperback formats. If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read this book at no additional charge and if you are an Amazon Prime member you can read it for FREE through the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

In his head, JASON PARENT lives in many places, but in the real world, he calls New England his home. The region offers an abundance of settings for his writing and many wonderful places in which to write them. He currently resides in Southeastern Massachusetts with his cuddly corgi named Calypso. He is the author of the novels Seeing Evil, What Hides Within and many published short stories. ( )
  FrankErrington | Jun 2, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,594,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible