Unveiling The Sky by Jeannine Allison

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added byCatherineHsu

No tags.

Actual Rating: 5

Oh my god. I'm speechless right now.
This book was beautiful.

I have to start by saying that this book hits very close to home, and therefore, few books I've read address topics like depression and anxiety and make it work. This is one of those books.

Unveiling the Sky follows two characters - Alara, a girl struggling with depression that seemingly came out of nowhere, and Gabe, a boy struggling with grief and trying to write his own future instead of following the one already mapped out for him.

But what they're both looking for is happiness - and it's not an easy journey. Everything gets in the way, and they'll have to decide whether the battle is worth the possible happy ever after.

Now, normally I'm not a fan of dual perspective, but I couldn't imagine this book any other way. It really worked for me in the sense that I could feel different pieces of pain and could understand what each character did and why. Not to mention how realistic the characters were - they were perfect, and yet they were broken and flawed.

The writing style was gorgeous - it was so easy for me to connect to the characters' feelings, and I found that there were so many beautiful quotes that perfectly described emotions I had never been able to put into words.

Looking at the plot as a whole, I felt like there was such a great balance between internal conflicts and external factors.

But what I must commend this book for is the message. What a beautiful, beautiful, message. I don't want to give too much away, but I will say that it was such an amazing story about accepting yourself and loving people who they are (yourself included!) and I don't think I've ever read a book that made me feel the way this book did.

I would love, love, love, to continue this series. ( )
  CatherineHsu | Jun 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible