Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough

Behind Her Eyes (2017)

by Sarah Pinborough

I was looking forward to this book ever since I saw it being advertised, a few weeks before release. I had enjoyed Gone Girl and Girl on the Train, and this book was hailed as being similar to the two. While there were definitely similar elements, it was a whole another story. Glad I picked this one up, because once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down until the final page. One of the few books that lives up to the hype.

The story is dark and twisted, and every time you think you know what's going on, the author throws in another wrench. Nothing is truly what it seems, and I didn't figure anything out until the end. Speaking of which, wow, that was a crazy ending. A little far-fetched, but crazy and unique all the same.

Ms. Pinborough weaves us a tale of betrayal and mystery, among three broken people who get into one twisted love triangle (and *that* isn't even what it seems). She brought together all the pieces from the past and present and tied everything together at the end. I don't like when things are left unexplained, so this was refreshing. The story is told through both female MC's POV in first person, as well as weaving in the story of the wife's past in third person.

The whole concept of lucid dreaming is quite interesting, and I'm interesting in learning more about it. It plays a bigger part in the characters' lives than it first lets on.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were made into a movie at some point. Well done! I will be recommending this book to others, and will look for this author's future works. ( )
  galian84 | Sep 16, 2017 |
Louise, a single mom, is a secretary in a psychiatrists’ practice. One night, out at a bar, she meets a man, sparks fly, and they share a kiss. The next day, the man, David, shows up in the practice as her new boss. Meanwhile, his wife, Adele, befriends Louise while demanding she keep their friendship a secret. This is the setup but you won’t see the twists and turns in this thriller coming. Good fun, especially on audio, as Louise and Adele take turns telling the story. ( )
  rglossne | Aug 21, 2017 |
This is a real page-turner, with chapters from the point of view of the three main characters of Louise, David and Adele. Louise gets involved with her new boss, David, who turns out to be married to her new friend, Adele. The suspense builds slowly as events are retold. The action picks up and rolls on to a surprise "twisted" ending, which I didn't particularly like. ( )
  terran | Aug 16, 2017 |
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2017/02/16/review-behind-her-eyes-by-sarah-pinbor...

4.5/5 Stars

Captivating from the very first page, Behind Her Eyes is a story that I just could not put down. I *had* to know what happened next, and puzzle together the mysteries that were unfolding. I was addicted in the best possible way to the characters and stories, craving answers with each turn of the page.

A large part of the beauty of this story is the mysteriousness of everything, so I won’t go into too much plot detail. I will briefly mention the Louise (the main POV) is a single mom, who may not be perfect, but I found to be very likable. She works hard to give her son everything he needs and her world pretty much consists of him and her work. But, when she meets a man and feels a connection, she is excited. It feels good to have someone look at her that way again, and make her feel that excitement of a first kiss with someone new.

Little did she know, that encounter would impact her life in major ways, and not necessarily in the picturesque way one might fantasize about. When she gets to work the next day and meets her new boss, she is shocked to see it is the same man that she had met. She was even more surprised to see his stunningly beautiful wife, Adele. Then later, a seemingly chance encounter with Adele is at first uncomfortable, but somehow, the two become friends.

Louise’s life quickly becomes entangled with both David and Adele. They each bring her happiness and have their own ways of filling the voids in her life. She is stuck in this position of knowing she should not secretly be spending time with each of them, but giving up one or both of them feels like a sacrifice. She genuinely enjoys spending time with both, even is she knows it is wrong.

Adele becomes a second POV, giving us two different perspectives from women who both have David as a major figure in their lives. We see his marriage from the inside, through Adele’s eyes and thoughts. We see him at work and with Louise.

But as she gets glimpses of their marriage from both parties, she starts to see something is very off. And this is where I will stop with details. The mystery of these people and their relationships is what makes this book so intriguing.

There are also some flashback chapters that help give weight to the story. Even in the audiobook format, I found these very easy to follow and distinguish from the current timeline. They gave interesting tidbits of information that helped to understand the current story line, as well as add to the mystery of the overall story. They told a very intriguing story of their own and were a great addition to the present day chapters.

Overall, this was a fresh, suspenseful and mysterious tale with intriguing characters. It’s one of those books that has some amazing surprises for the reader, but ones that after revealed make perfect sense. Incredibly well written and paced. Highly recommend this one.

Audiobook Note: Whenever I listen to an audiobook and find myself this addicted, it’s always a great experience. I feel like that takes a perfect chemistry between both the author as well as the performance of the narrators. In this book, they used a cast of narrators which really helps keep the different perspectives separate. Never once was I confused about who was narrating or if this was a present day or flashback chapter. That is very impressive for an audiobook. On top of that, the performances were all spot on, delivering the author’s tone and atmosphere very well. ( )
  tenaciousreader | Aug 8, 2017 |
There is a slow build up, a couple of unsurprising twists and then one hell of a gut punch at the end. It's no wonder people have been talking about this ending! It's slightly out of the realm of just straight thriller, there is a little tiny droplet of supernatural edge to it (nothing more extreme than lucid dreaming). Per usual I buy everything hook, line, and sinker at the book which only sets me up for the fall. But honestly, I don't mind that, not all. Louise is a single mum working as a secretary in London and she has the worst possible luck. She finally meets a man at the bar and it turns out that it is her MARRIED new boss at work. Once they get past the initial weirdness they re-start their affair but things get weird when Louise makes a new friend. Her boss's wife, Adele. It happens completely by accident, but now she finds herself dependent on both of them. However, things are not what they seem with Adele. What is going on behind those eyes of hers? Pretty good thriller, kept me entertained and guessing! ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 3, 2017 |
Three can keep a secret if two are dead. -Benjamin Franklin
For Tasha, Words just don't cover it. All I can say is thanks for everything and the drinks are on me.
Pinch myself and say I AM AWAKE once an hour.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,903,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible