Someone to Hold by Mary Balogh

Not your everyday Historical Romance Novel.

The story was amazing to me. I loved every minute and that's saying a lot since I really didn't like Camille in the first book.

It left me feeling so warm and fuzzy. Loved it! ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
Lady Camille Wescott has an upheaval in her life. Turns out her father had a first wife and a daughter from that marriage that means she and her siblings have been disinherited. Struggling to make sense of a world that has turned upside-down, she takes a job teaching at the orphanage where her half-sister was raised, partly as an attempt to understand the life that sister lived and partly to be independent.
A volunteer teacher at the school who was raised there and an upcoming portrait painter, Joel Cunningham dislikes the new teacher on sight. He was best friends with her half-sister, and it doesn't help that Camille is stiff-necked and hostile to the people in her new world.
Unlike many other reviewers, I liked Camille. I could understand some of her hauteur and standoffishness as well as her pride and embarrassment of her lowered station. Perhaps it's because I didn't read the first book in the series where she first makes an appearance (I can't believe I missed a Balogh release), but I liked that she was a different kind of heroine, and Joel is certainly a different kind of hero. He makes an embarrassing amount of gaffes though I thought they were also very realistic. It contrasts nicely with the bland engagement Camille had with a Viscount before her downfall.
Though this is a stand-alone book, my one complaint is that it seemed to cover the storyline of the previous book pretty thoroughly. I'm not sure I'll go back to read that one though the hero is intriguing. I am, however, really looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Apr 24, 2017 |
Camille Westcott has a problem, her father had married before he married her mother and neglected to ensure that his previous wife was dead or divorced from him beforehand. Now that this has come out, Camille and her family are illegitimate, their half-sister has the family fortune and they're pariahs in society. She decides to stop hiding out and get on with living and decides to work where her sister worked, in an orphanage as a teacher. Her grandmother insists on her being painted by a portrait painter, who also grew up in the same orphanage and now teaches art there.

It's a charming story with fun characters and I like how they stood up for themselves regularly. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 13, 2017 |
Camille Westcott has always striven to be a perfect lady. Now revealed to be illegitimate, she does not know who she is. In an effort to stop hiding from herself and the world, she applies for a teaching job in the orphanage in which her half-sister was raised. There she meets Joel Cunningham, a gifted painter and childhood friend of Camille's half-sister, who teaches art to the orphans several days a week. It is dislike at first sight on both sides. But there is also an unwilling attraction.

Camille is not an immediately appealing character, being prickly and proper. Those who have read the first Westcott romance will also be unhappy with her for rejecting her half-sister Anna, who wanted only to know her family. But, as her background is revealed, the reader, like Joel, comes to a new appreciation for her. Joel also grows and deepens as a character. How these two lonely people learn to open up and accept each other makes for an enjoyable romance.

Recommended. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jan 6, 2017 |
After several months of hiding away, wallowing in misery and denial, anger and shame, and any other negative emotion anyone care to name, Camille Westcott finally took charge of her life on a sunny, blustery morning in July.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451477804, Mass Market Paperback)

A reversal of fortune befalls a young woman in the latest Westcott novel from the New York Times bestselling author of Only a Kiss and Someone to Love.

Humphrey Wescott, Earl of Riverdale, has died, leaving behind a fortune and a scandalous secret that will forever alter the lives of his family—sending one daughter on a journey of self-discovery...

With her parents’ marriage declared bigamous, Camille Westcott is now illegitimate and without a title. Looking to eschew the trappings of her old life, she leaves London to teach at the Bath orphanage where her newly discovered half-sister lived. But even as she settles in, she must sit for a portrait commissioned by her grandmother and endure an artist who riles her every nerve.

An art teacher at the orphanage that was once his home, Joel Cunningham has been hired to paint the portrait of the haughty new teacher. But as Camille poses for Joel, their mutual contempt soon turns to desire. And it is only the bond between them that will allow them to weather the rough storm that lies ahead...

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:58:41 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,851,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible