Throw Away Girls (Jaycee Wilder Series) by…

Throw Away Girls (Jaycee Wilder Series)

by Jennifer Vaughn

This was definitely a creepy one at times. If you like serial killer thrillers and mysteries, or a gripping suspense novel then this is for you. But if that's not your thing, this might not be the thing to read.

I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  CynthiaMR | Aug 31, 2016 |
“Throw Away Girls” by Jennifer Vaughn begins as a typical murder mystery. TV reporter Jaycee Wilder develops a connection to the murdered woman and becomes invested in the story. Through her attempts to find the story, Jaycee works undercover several times and keeps the story moving by going above and beyond her job.

The book’s narrative bounces back and forth a few times, providing us with a glimpse into the killer’s psyche. As his past unraveled, it was horrifying to read about. Vaughn was skillful in depicting how the killer came to be who he was without ever making me feel like he had any real justification on his side. As Jaycee later points out, plenty of kids grow up in bad environments without becoming psychotic serial killers.

The novel itself was interesting and compelling, but I was disappointed in the lack of details about Jaycee’s past. It is mentioned in the beginning that she doesn’t really have family and came from an unfortunate background. Also, at the risk of giving away any spoilers, her character was inconsistent and her feelings for her boyfriend did a complete 180 very abruptly.

While the story was well-written and wrapped up nicely, the allusion to a cliffhanger was a nice touch to set this book as the first in a series with Jaycee Wilder as the protagonist. ( )
  CInacio | Aug 16, 2016 |
A serial killer of young women who frequent sleezy bars, doubles as a news cameraman. His news reporter partner is obsessed with finding the killer not knowing she is working right beside him. ( )
  stornelli | Aug 13, 2016 |
The story concept for this book intrigued me, and it had great early reviews, so I requested a review copy from Amazon Vine. Unfortunately, the story execution just did not work for me.

My problems began right at the start, with the point of view/narrating characters. There is no consistency here at all, and I found it jarring. This isn't the rare omniscient book, where we are privy to all of the characters' thoughts, all of the time. But this also isn't the traditional focused narration, where we remain within a specific character's point of view for a scene or chapter, before making a clear switch. For the most part, we are in one character's head, mostly Jaycee's, though also occasionally the police detective. Yet suddenly, mid paragraph, we'll switch to a random character's POV long enough to make some point about what he or she is thinking. This seems to be partly a matter of convenience and largely a lack of writing discipline. I'm surprised this wasn't addressed during editing.

Then there are the characters, who are all major stereotypes. Jaycee is the flawed hero, who pursues her story regardless of personal cost because she feels she must catch the killer. Van, her boyfriend, is a clueless pretty boy, who puts up with Jaycee's abusive treatment for reasons unknown. Ben is the happy-go-lucky gay friend. Barton, the police detective, is the broken alcoholic cop who is seeking salvation by solving the case.

The plot uses fetishism more for shock value than realism, placing us in underground fetish clubs that are more about aggression than pleasure. These clubs seemed designed specifically for psychopaths.

The killer's identity is not a surprise at all if you're paying attention.

Finally, too much of what went on required me to suspend rational belief. For example, Barton sends Jaycee out with a tip on a witness to interview, before he himself interviews that person. He didn't even suggest they go together, nor did he ask for an immediate followup on the conversation. It's implausible to me that a police detective in charge of a major serial killer case would suggest a TV reporter go interview a person of interest. Perhaps that does happen all the time, but it sounds far-fetched.

I'm always uncomfortable giving negative critique to a book. I know how much work the author put into writing this, but it just didn't work for me. ( )
  Darcia | Jul 30, 2016 |
A special thank you to Waldorf Publishing and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Nice Cover!

Jennifer Vaughn introduces THROW AWAY GIRLS her first in the gritty psychological suspense mystery: Jaycee Wilder Series -an ambitious LA news reporter finds herself in the middle of a brutal crime investigation, and at the hands of a dangerous psycho serial killer. A monster who throws away girls like the garbage, and uses their blood to leave a message.

ThrowAway: “A thing intended or destined to be discarded after brief use or appeal.”

Jaycee Wilder is a smart and tenacious television news reporter in Los Angeles and currently dating Van. Van slings drinks at a West Hollywood nightclub several nights a week only until he became the next Bradley Cooper.

She works with her news director, Clare and partner, Ben. Jaycee believed that in order to give proper coverage to a murder victim, she needed to get to know her. Something every reporter did on the weekends. She meets up with Detective James Barton LAPD Homicide—leading the charge to find Zoe’s killer. (an interesting character). They would work together to find the psychopath. .

This would make the third murder in six months. Three women butchered, no-holds-barred, stranger-on-stranger sex shops. The latest is a woman, Zoe is in her mid-twenties.

Fantasy adult nightclubs in Los Angeles. Two other women, Sarah and Mackenzie, were also murdered in locations near or along Hollywood Boulevard. He is making them bleed. A gory slaughter that implied murder over mishap, and she was intrigued.

Jaycee and Van talk about scenarios at home, since he occasionally gets bit parts on TV shows. Ever since a stint on Criminal Minds, Van had Jaycee believing that in order to give purpose he convinced himself a hard-edged crime sleuth. This time the story was for real.

These girls were not slutty skanks. Zoe was a well-liked educator and a beloved daughter. Sarah a waitress, and Mackenzie a single mom raising four- year-old twins. Each young woman had a loving supportive family that had professed shock upon hearing the details of their deaths. These girls had ventured into dark caverns where pleasure and pain intertwined with one’s own exploitation. In a cold place that invited the darkest parts of a person’s soul out to play. Jaycee is dying for an interview with the family to discuss their double life, to help determine their connection with the killer.

Each time the killer strikes he uses his victims blood to leave a message, “Throw Away Girl.”

We hear from the unidentified killer who appreciates the full color spectrum of a woman’s beauty. He loves women. But sometimes he had to kill them. Only some of them. The bad ones.

As Barton, Jaycee, and the team get closer to determining the killer's identity, Jaycee is in danger. Will she be the psychopath’s next victim after she receives a message from the killer to back off? What does he have in mind for her, since she does not fit the profile?

Detective James Barton, a little rough around the edges, was a one- time hero cop. Now a survivor in his own right. Of course, Barton was not accustomed to a pretty and smart reporter providing key points of a murder investigation to him. As most sociopaths, they disguise themselves as an everyday person. Mysterious and evil, a Jekyll and Hyde. However, what dark abuse lurks in their past to turn them into twisted brutal killers? Will they stop him before he kills again?

Chilling and suspenseful with a calculating villain at the center of a well-crafted plot, flawed characters, and sharp dialogue to keep readers guessing. Dark and twisty, as the intrigue unfolds, tension mounts in this outstanding start to Vaughn’s new series. Her expertise shines in this gripping novel; and what a delicious cliffhanger, keeping readers salivating for the next installment.

Vaughn, a TV news anchor for WMUR in Manchester, New Hampshire, puts her experience to splendid use, to enhance the story, with authentic insider investigative detailed reporting; keeping the suspense and intensity high.

By employing her keen skills, she maneuvers between characters smoothly, and crafts a wild labyrinth of exciting twists, turns, and surprises. Readers who crave mystery, and dark twisty psychological crime suspense will be impressed by the first installment, of her new exciting series!

For fans of Sandra Brown, JT Ellison, Mary Burton, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Lis Wiehl, and Karin Slaughter.

JDCMustReadBooks ( )
  JudithDCollins | Jun 27, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,906,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible