Murder Games by James Patterson
204557,485 (3.88)4

I confess that I picked this book up solely because of the TV series Instinct. I was not surprised at what a quick read it was -- I've always thought that Patterson had a gift for telling a compelling story -- but rather how much I liked that story. I think I liked the book's version of Dylan and his husband more than the TV series's version.

The mystery was a good one and kept me wondering if Dylan and Elizabeth would succeed in solving it in time. I think the book played fair and didn't depend on off-page discoveries. I was sad to find that there are no sequels. That makes me even happier that the characters are being continued on TV.

If you like the series, I think you will like the book. If you like mysteries, you should definitely try this one. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | May 27, 2018 |
Instinct is a good, fast read. It's success is due in great part to the character of Dylan. He is just unique enough to bring a unique perspective to this serial killer whodunit. Elizabeth provides a strong character off of which Dylan can play but could stand a bit larger role. I found the novel rushed in many places and therefore thinly developed especially the ending. It was as if every thing had to be resolved, both professionally and personally, in the last 25 pages. ( )
  Hardboiled | Apr 13, 2018 |
I don't know if it was the luck of the #solareclipse2017 or maybe I'm actually starting to feel a bit more human. Either way I was actually able to focus on the last 75 pages of this kick ass latest Patterson novel. Loved the main character and his significant other. I also really enjoyed the other main character. With enough twists, murder, and games this one kept me guessing until the end. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
MURDER GAMES
JAMES PATTERSON
HOWARD ROUGHAN

MY RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️▫️
PUBLISHER Little, Brown and Company/Hachette Audio
PUBLISHED June 26, 2017
NARRATED Edoardo Ballerini

Murder Games is a riveting and fast-paced crime novel that plays right into your hands.

SUMMARY
A card playing serial killer is on the loose in New York City. A crime columnist has labeled him The Dealer. His victims appear to be total strangers. What unites them is that The Dealer is leaving a playing card behind at each scene that points to the identity of his next victim.

Dylan Reinhardt, Phd., is an Ivy League Psychology college professor with an attitude, who has written a book on abnormal psychology. That book, which is a introduction to psychopaths has arrived in the mail, and contained the first playing card, it was a blue harlequin-pattern king of clubs. Elizabeth Needham, the NYPD detective in charge of the case, asks Reinhardt for his help getting into the mind of the killer. As the killer continues his rampage and the media frenzy over the case reaches a fevered pitch, Dylan and Elizabeth must determine what the victims have in common in order to solve the case.

REVIEW
JAMES PATTERSON and HOWARD ROUGHAN have played all the right cards in MURDER GAMES. The plot is original, robust, unpredictable, and the pacing is perfect. The character development however, is what really makes the book. Reinhardt, 45, captures your attention immediately in chapter one, swaggering into a Yale lecture hall, with a narcissistic attitude who gets off on the adoration of his mere students. Outside of the classroom, he has a completely different persona, a much more likable guy. I really liked Detective Elizabeth Needham, who is quick-witted, feisty, smart, and prepared. But nothing really prepared her for the smug, acerbic college professor. The chemistry between the two of them was charged and delightful. Their quick dialogue was simply entertaining. I would have loved for Elizabeth to play a even larger role in the book, she is a great character and I love to see women in strong roles.

“Sometime you just know the sound of trouble before she walks in the room”

I listened to the audio version of the book and believe that Edoardo Ballerini’s narration was stellar. I enjoyed listening to his voice. ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Aug 18, 2017 |
A playing card left at the scene of each brutal murder . . . are they meant to be the killer’s unique signature or are they a sinister portent somehow pointing to the next person the killer has selected to die?

Dubbed “The Dealer” by the newspapers, the killer always seems to be a step ahead of the police until an expert on criminal behavior and a brilliant New York City police detective join forces . . . .

Interesting characters, a clever premise, and a complex plot continually ramping up the suspense all combine to keep the pages turning while readers, on the edge of their seats, wonder who will be the next victim. As the narrative unfolds, each answer does little more than reveal a new mystery, leaving readers hard-pressed to set this one aside before the final unexpected reveal.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Jul 4, 2017 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Roughan, Howardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Barbara and Will Cravens
-H.R
SO YOU want to be a serial killer...

The next hand he deals you...may be your last.

A serial killer is loose on the streets of Manhattan. His victims appear to be total strangers. The only clue that unites the crimes is the playing card left behind at each scene that hints at the next target. The killer, known in the tabloids as The Dealer, is baiting cops into a deadly and scandalous guessing game that has the city increasingly on edge. Following her instincts, the gorgeous, tenacious cop in charge of the case turns to an unlikely ally--Dylan Reinhart, a handsome and brilliant professor with a keen insight into the criminal mind whose book turned up in connection with the murders. As the tabloid frenzy over The Dealer reaches a fever pitch, Dylan and Elizabeth must connect the clues to discover what the victims have in common before The Dealer runs through his entire deck.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 21 Jun 2016 00:58:59 -0400)

Dr. Dylan Reinhart wrote the book on criminal behavior. Literally--he's a renowned, bestselling Ivy League expert on the subject. When a copy of his book turns up at a gruesome murder scene--along with a threatening message from the killer--it looks like someone has been taking notes. Elizabeth Needham is the headstrong and brilliant NYPD Detective in charge of the case who recruits Dylan to help investigate another souvenir left at the scene--a playing card. Another murder, another card--and now Dylan suspects that the cards aren't a signature, they're a deadly hint--pointing directly toward the next victim. As tabloid headlines about the killer known as "The Dealer" scream from newsstands, New York City descends into panic. With the cops at a loss, it's up to Dylan to hunt down a serial killer unlike any the city has ever seen. Only someone with Dylan's expertise can hope to go inside the mind of a criminal and convince The Dealer to lay down his cards. But after thinking like a criminal--could Dylan become one?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,443,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible