A Love That Disturbs by Medeia Sharif

A Love That Disturbs

by Medeia Sharif

621,268,033 (5)None

An edgy, moving, and uplifting story

I really enjoyed this book. When I read the description of it I was intrigued, because it deals with portions of our culture with which I have little to no experience. It is always fun to get a peek at a different part of the American way of life. The gritty, no nonsense nature of the story really gives you a feeling of understanding the no win situations that people can find themselves in sometimes.

The depiction of Muslim American culture was wonderfully done. The intolerance of the girl's relationship was to be expected, but I also got the impression that there was equal disapproval of the attack on Maysa as well.

On the other side, Maysa's acceptance of the "issues" in Haydee's life is the only place where I felt that my suspension of disbelief was challenged. However, she made it clear that she wouldn't tolerate it if she went back to that way of life and it was clear that Haydee was sincere about changing. Still, it seems like there might have been at least a week or two of separation before Maysa came to that decision instead of having it be instant. But, in a way, that wouldn't be very much in her character. She is a decisive young woman.

All in all I found it to be a powerful story, and couldn't help but think that right after the end of the story, date wise, was the Supreme Court decision that made their relationship able to be more than just girlfriends if they wish! ( )
  Zensunni42 | Nov 15, 2016 |
Sometimes people find themselves in situations that they want out of, but circumstances prevent them from changing. What if they reach a point where they can’t go on with their lives the way they are, however? Do they risk losing family and friends by taking a chance at happiness or do they give in to pressure and continue living their unhappy lives?
In A LOVE THAT DISTURBS, Author Medeia Sharif’s latest novel for young adult readers, Haydee Gomez wants to get away from her pimp Rafe and just live a normal life, going to school like other girls and making friends. Maysa Mazaria, taunted for being a Muslim, wants to fall in love and not be married to a man of her mother’s choice. Then the girls make a discovery that has repercussions they never could have imagined.
Medeia Sharif has written a tender story that will touch your heart and perhaps even make you angry. Haydee and Maysa are such realistic characters, I kept thinking, is this really happening to teens in America? Do they face such challenges in their lives today? Are people as hateful and mean, yes mean, as some of the girls are that claim to be Maysa’s friend?
The author touches on controversial subjects in a gentle way that helped me understand other cultures better. A LOVE THAT DISTURBS would make a great addition to high school libraries, public libraries and you own library. I imagine many young people can relate to the challenge the girls have to deal with. Recommended. ( )
  beverlyjean | Jun 29, 2016 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Medeia Sharif's book A Love That Disturbs was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Medeia Sharif is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,544,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible