The Darwin Awards 4: Intelligent Design by…

The Darwin Awards 4: Intelligent Design

by Wendy Northcutt

It's always fun to hear of the dumb things people do... ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
a funless mindless read. good bathroom material.
  smooney1202 | Aug 27, 2009 |
While I did enjoy the opening essays detailing the history of the Darwin Awards, the essays written at the beginning of each chapter just served, for the most part, to bore me. It was, however, interesting to learn how these awards are submitted and chosen, as one who is not a user of the Darwin Awards website. But there's really not that much positive that I can say about the book. I still got really annoyed with the personal accounts, because NO, just because someone you know did it, doesn't actually mean it's at all funny. The opening essays, as I mentioned, were boring and poorly written. Something that's always bothered me about the Darwins is that the awards themselves are, without a doubt, written exaggeratedly. It's still interesting when you write what happened. It's still ridiculously stupid and makes you wonder how these people managed to exist in the first place, but do they need all these *adjectives*? There's just no need for exaggeration, the stories are freaking HILARIOUS without them. I did wish to see more reader comments, those were just added snark on top of the idiocy.

Rating: 3/5 ( )
  Runa | Jun 22, 2009 |
Another breezy read from Northcutt. It always amazes me that yes, some people really can be that stupid. ( )
  pandorabox82 | Oct 3, 2008 |
I've read all the Darwin Award books and expected a lot of repetition and there was, at least in the elementals; cars, power tools, guns, fireworks. Still interesting, especially since I feel like I got an insight into this particular degree (fatal) of stupidity. A person doesn't have to be stupid all the time to make an unfortunately fatal mistake. In other words, it can happen to anyone. It only takes a second of lapsed vigilance or being carried away by the moment or just an unforeseen consequence for a person to end up extinguished. My sister will accuse me of having a Master's degree and I can only respond, 'Well, it isn't in Electricity.' Life is fragile. But the highlight of this, the fourth volume in the series, is the discussions on plague, evolution, genes, etc., and the bios of the people that contributed these. Very worthwhile. ( )
  dawsong | Jan 27, 2008 |

All-new tales from the shallow end of the gene pool

Named after Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, The Darwin Awards pays homage to those who improve our gene pool . . . by removing themselves from it.

Most of us know instinctively that igniting a blasting cap in our mouth is a recipe for disaster. Darwin Award winners do not. Most of us have basic sound judgment that eliminates the need for no smoking signs at ammo dumps. Darwin Award winners do not. Whether it's head-butting motorcyclists, thallium-snorting soldiers, or hatchet-wielding men who mistake a body part for a chicken neck, there's no shortage of creative Darwin Award winners. There's a reason the instructions say, "Don't heat your lava lamp on the stove." Only a Darwin Award winner would learn the fatal reason why.

Filled with over a hundred new tales of evolution in action, science essays by guest writers, and a parody research paper supporting Intelligent Design, The Darwin Awards 4 shows that when it comes to common sense, natural selection still has a long way to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:29 -0400)

A new collection of tongue-in-cheek tributes to people whose own lack of judgment led to their demise includes a homeowner who filled his house with natural gas to kill termites, a motorcycle rider who steered with his feet, and a welder who incorporated a grenade into a chain.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,743,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible