Boundary Born (Boundary Magic) by Melissa F.…

Boundary Born (Boundary Magic)

by Melissa F. Olson

The Boundary Magic trilogy: Boundary Crossed (1), Boundary Lines (2), and Boundary Born (3), by Melissa F Olsen

The series starts with her working a night shift and encountering two kidnappers trying to buy nappies for a baby - who turns out to be Lex's niece... Cue mayhem as Lex rescues her niece, dying again in the process. It turns out that Lex is a boundary witch - the boundary being the one between life and death - and is insanely powerful. She is introduced to the local supernatural community - the vampires and the witches (the other supernaturals - the werewolves - had been driven out some years previously), and takes service with the local vampire community to protect her niece who turns out to be a null - a person in whose presence other magic does not work. She is supposed to be trained by the local witch clan, who consider boundary witches to be an abomination, and is working with a vampire enforcer who she is attracted to.

The second book deals with another supernatural woken by someone boosting magic, and the third book deals with Lex's birth family. (Lex and her sister were adopted, and nothing was known about their family, their mother dying in childbirth).

I didn't have any high expectations for these, but they were not bad. I did think at the end of the first book that the reason Lex survived the IED that killed the rest of her platoon by unconsciously draining the life force from her comrades, but it turned out not. Otherwise, there were no great plot twists. I'd call the books workmanlike, but not worth paying full price for. Whether or not I purchase any future instalments depends on whether they are cheap or not.
  Maddz | Nov 6, 2017 |
Boundary Born is yet another outstanding installment in the Boundary Magic series! The characters and the worldbuilding continue to rock, and Quinn is seriously the best boyfriend ever. I've read so much run-of-the-mill urban fantasy over the years that I had almost given up on discovering new, amazing additions to the genre, but this series has given me hope that there are still hidden gems out there just waiting to be picked up. I really, really hope Ms. Olson writes more books in this series! ( )
  les121 | Aug 3, 2017 |
Third book in the Boundary series. Fascinating, gripping, intriguing tale of Lex's history. Questions get answered in this novel while a few new ones are posed. Great story with interesting characters, storyline, & plot. ( )
  BookJunkie777 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I have really enjoyed getting to know Lex. She loves fiercely and will do anything to protect her family, which she proves time and time again. I love how bad-ass she is and I love watching her overcome the obstacles and dangers that have been thrown at her in each installment of the Boundary Magic series.

In BOUNDARY BORN she does more of what she does best, saving the day! There is ton of action as she fights to save herself and her friends from a foe she never saw coming. Her relationship with Quinn is still pretty present and growing. One thing that I missed in BOUNDARY BORN though was Charlie. We don't 'see' her once. I am not really sure what else I can say about BOUNDARY BORN without giving away spoilers so I will leave my review at that.

I'm not sure if the Boundary Magic series is over or not. Olson states that she is taking some time off for a bit to work on other things. I really hope that it doesn't take long because there is SO much more Lex and friends to be had. I will miss them all until I see them again.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Jun 22, 2016 |
I love the Boundary Magic series by Melissa F. Olson! The newest book, Boundary Born, gives us another great adventure in Boulder’s Old World community, and some personal history about Lex.

What drew me to this book: So far, I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read by Melissa F. Olson; but, her Boundary Magic series is by far my favorite.

Why I kept reading: This book deals with the origins of boundary magic and the blood family of the protagonist, Lex. Lex and her twin were adopted by the Luthers, a completely non-magic family. The previous two books mention this, but don’t pursue the question of Lex’s parentage. In Boundary Born, Lex’s birth family comes looking for her, bringing some answers, but even more questions, about the nature of boundary magic and the history of magic in general.

The friendship and teamwork among Lex, Quinn, Simon, and Lily is one of my favorite parts of this series. They love and trust each other, and accept each other, faults and all.

I’m really liking Mavin, the vampire ruler of Boulder, as well. She has a good side to her, despite being a scary strong vampire. She’s honorable, at least, as well as ruthless and practical.

Why I recommend it: The Boundary Magic series is really good urban fantasy, and Boundary Born in particular is a strong story. If you haven’t picked up this series, now is the time! ( )
  InvestedIvana | Jun 21, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible