Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects: Build *…

Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects: Build * Invent * Create * Discover

by Jack Challoner

491238,224 (4)None

Makerspaces. Have you heard the term before? I'm going to give you the library definition, as that's where my interests lie.

"A library makerspace is an area and/or service that offers library patrons an opportunity to create intellectual and physical materials using resources such as computers, 3-D printers, audio and video capture and editing tools, and traditional arts and crafts supplies. In the field of library science, makerspaces are classified as a type of library service offered by librarians to patrons."

Maker Lab - 28 Super Cool Projects: Build * Invent * Create * Discover by Jack Challoner looked like a great place to find some new ideas!

Maker Lab is divided into four sections: Food For Thought, Around the Home, Water World and The Great Outdoors.

Experiment! I remember making a version of Slime with my son when he was younger. Ingredients needed - everything you already have at home. Invisible ink - ah, yes - my son wanted to be a spy when he was younger. Do you know the science behind Baked Alaska? This one would be great to try - and eat. There's some more food based ideas as well. But my fave is using a lemon as a battery. This is one we've actually tried in the library. Making a kaleidoscope from a few beads, some paper, plastic wrap and a cardboard tube - easy and fascinating. How about a balloon rocket car from used water bottles? Summer is the perfect time to try the water ideas - a waterwheel or soap powered boat. Make your own bath fizzies! But I have to say my personal favourite was Sun Prints. I'm going to make a few myself for some wall artwork at home.

What I liked - full colour shot of each idea - one that will appeal to young maker. Clear concise instructions accompanied by pictures. The time needed to complete and the difficulty level are noted for each. Most of the ideas can be executed using items you already have. And the few you would have to purchase are very inexpensive. And this I really like - the science of how and why it works. Creating and discovering can be a group activity or one you do at home with your children. And the bonus is that they'll start coming up with their own ideas and experiments. There's also a glossary at the with definitions for many of the terms used in the book. Learning can be fun! And remember, creativity isn't just for kids. ( )
  Twink | Jun 11, 2017 |

Jack Challoner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,898,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible