Deep Shadows (The Remnant) by Vannetta…

Deep Shadows (The Remnant)

by Vannetta Chapman

196537,190 (4.44)None

Deep Shadows by Vannetta Chapman is the first book in The Remnant series. It is June 10 when Shelby Sparks is out hiking with Patrick Goodnight, Bianca Lopez, and Max Berkman in Colorado Bend State Park when they see aurora borealis. Shelby knows that their seeing the northern lights is a result of a CME (Coronal mass ejection—solar flares) and immediately advises the group that they need to head home to Abney. Shelby wants to check on her seventeen-year-old son, Carter. The solar flare has taken out all modern conveniences. Luckily Max’s truck is an older model without computer technology so the group can get back to town. This event has far reaching effects. Life will not be the same. Shelby’s first concern is acquiring insulin for Carter. Carter was diagnosed as a diabetic when he was four years old and needs daily doses of insulin. Without this necessary medication, Carter will die. Shelby is not the only person seeking medication and other necessary supplies. Nadine Perkins, Abney’s mayor, rises to the occasion is helping to organize the town’s resources. It is soon apparent that the town will not be getting help from the state or federal level. Life deteriorates quickly and people must find a way to survive in this new world.

Deep Shadows is well-written, easy to read, and engrossing. I was immediately drawn into Deep Shadows. The novel has good characters. I especially liked Max. I had a hard time liking Shelby. Shelby has a single-minded focus on obtaining insulin. I can understand her concern, but I felt she should not let this rule her life. Personally, I would have obtained as much insulin as possible within the first 24 to 48 hours, and then I would have started researching alternatives (before people started burning books for fuel). Shelby is also an over protective parent (the kid is seventeen). I was surprised Carter had not rebelled from Shelby’s constant smothering presence. I give Deep Shadows 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it). The book is full of action and it is very realistic. We see how important it is to have friends, family and faith. I hope we never have to find out how people will respond when faced with a similar disaster. I do recommend that you read Overshadowed (a prequel) prior to reading Deep Shadows. Overshadowed sets the stage for Deep Shadows and its sequel Raging Storm. You will find Deep Shadows very different from Vannetta Chapman’s Amish novels. It is a new direction for this author and she handles this topic splendidly. Deep Shadows will make you think (and question). I am eager to read the Raging Storm, the next book in The Remnant series. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jan 21, 2017 |
Deep Shadows
Vanetta Chapman

Book Summary: All It Takes Is One Night to Plunge the World into Darkness Life in Abney, Texas, is predictable and safe--until the night a massive solar flare wipes out all modern technology. Shelby Sparks, novelist and single mom, had one goal: to provide for her diabetic son. In the wake of this global disaster, her mission hasn't changed. Only now, medication is a priceless commodity and the future resembles an apocalyptic nightmare. Max Berkman and Shelby were once sweethearts, but he lost his chance at claiming her love years ago. When the abrupt loss of power ushers him into a leadership role, he rises to the occasion. But his highest priority--to keep Shelby and her son safe--could prove to be the biggest challenge of all. As the brilliant northern lights give way to deep shadows, Max and Shelby's faith will be tested like never before. Only one rule remains: Find a way to survive. In this first book in an eerily plausible dystopian series, a memorable cast of characters must navigate a familiar world thrown into chaos.

Review: I love Ms. Chapman’s writing. Her characters are relatable and realistic. The storylines are realistic and easy to read. Yet, for me, I do not like this type of story. I tried really hard to enjoy the topic, yet I found it tragic. Her descriptions were realistic and scary. I think that Shell was a little self serving at times. Understandable at times. This was more for a prepper or doomsday enthusiastic type. I am not that type of person. I have enjoyed all of her book previously and believe I will enjoy her books after this series. The books are well written and well thought out. Ms. Chapman is truly a gifted writer and normally a favorite of mine, but had this been written by anyone else, I would have quit after 30 pages.

I would like to thank Net Galley and Harvest House for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. ( )
  Robin661 | Jul 26, 2016 |
Vannetta Chapman begins a new series (The Remnant) with her newest book, Deep Shadows. With the flash of a solar flare, life for residents of a small Texas town is changed, perhaps forever. Such a believable and possible situation to write about and the author does a wonderful job of making this story credible. She touches on aspects of life that one might not think about being affected with this type of disaster. Nursing homes--the lack of medication, food and staff. Stores--being depleted of supplies with no hope of being replenished. Murders for just about anything. The main characters are strong and easy to relate to. Shelby is a single mom whose main concern is her son and his health. "How do I protect Carter in a world that no longer makes sense?" A new and treacherous world in which she is now an immigrant. Max, a long-time friend, just wants to keep Shelby and Carter safe. Will faith in God and friends be enough to find a way to survive? Will God's children be able to grasp that despite agony and despair, they are under the care of a Heavenly Father? With edge-of-your-seat suspense this is an intense, provocative book, causing readers to wonder about their own reaction and preparedness for a disaster of this magnitude. At the end of the book, Chapman includes several very helpful additions--discussion questions, emergency preparation lists, suggestions on growing a victory garden and instructions on how to do CPR. A book NOT TO BE MISSED!
I received a copy of Deep Shadows from Harvest House Publishers in exchange for an honest opinion. ( )
  Anne_Rightler | Jul 1, 2016 |
This has to have been one of my favorite books this year. I am so used to Vannetta Chapman writing Amish stories that this was a bit different but in such a fantastic way.
What would happen if there was a solar flare that wipes out all electronics? It is a scary thought. This is how this book begins. What will people do in this situation. Can we survive without all the technology that we are used to. This is told in a very believable way and it is really scary. I can't wait for the second book in this series to see how the characters have been surviving. I received a copy of this book from the author for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jul 1, 2016 |
Deep Shadows is a book that is going to make you think, you will become the mother of a boy with an illness that requires constant medication to keep him alive. Is this Armageddon, or pretty close to it, but life as everyone has always known it will cease to exist.
What has happened is a solar flare has wiped out all of modern technology, even the Northern Lights appear as far south as Texas. Shelby Sparks has been raising her son on her own, since her husband died, and earned a living writing romance novels, and had researched this very happening. She is with her lifelong friend Max when they see the Northern Lights, and of course Max looks out for her, and they head home, yes his truck works, it is an older non-computerized model.
We get to witness what life will probably be like if such a catastrophe were to happen, martial law happens, and it seems no one is like they used to be. There are fires, and explosions, needless death, and everyday fights for survival, and should they stay in their town, or leave and go to where they might survive. Shelby wants to stay, and so does her son, he has a new love interest, but life isn’t fair and decisions are made for them.
This is a book you won’t be able to put down, and after the last page is turned, you won’t soon forget. There are more answers to come and more to this story, but we have to wait a bit for more.
I received this book through Harvest House and the Author, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jun 23, 2016 |

All It Takes Is One Night
to Plunge the World into Darkness

* * *

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 21 Jun 2016 18:49:05 -0400)

Shelby Sparks and Max Berkman are hiking above the Colorado Bend River in Texas when the night sky is filled with the aurora borealis. A beautiful sight, Shelby realizes that it also signals the end of life as they know it. A major solar flare is the only thing that would cause the aurora to be seen so far south, and such an event would destroy all modern technology--including electricity. What follows is a fight for survival as the town of Abney comes to terms with the fact that they must work together or perish. Can God protect them against nature's destructive force? Will neighboring towns work with them, or try to take what meager resources they have? And what of Shelby's son, Carter? How will she provide him with the insulin he needs to survive? As Deep Shadows stretch across the land, Shelby and Max will be pushed to their limits, where they'll discover if they have the faith and strength to become a part of the Remnant of Christ.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,355,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible