By Your Side by Kasie West

By Your Side

by Kasie West

A sweet, page-turner YA with a surprising amount of serious issues: anxiety disorder/panic attacks, foster care, near fatal car accident, hospitalization, and a parent with a drug addiction. I'm impressed how effortlessly the author weaved it all in without bogging down the romantic tension!

The main character, Autumn, is definitely an inspiration for girls with anxiety. The YA world needs more characters like her. When Autumn finds herself accidentally locked in a library over MLK weekend (ah, jealous, being locked in a library is almost bucketlist worthy IMO), she feels abandoned and forgotten by her friends and family. Little does she know, Dax, her quiet, loner classmate with the bad reputation, has also been locked in the library, on purpose.

The characters bond over their circumstances. Only slightly reminiscent of the princess (Claire) and the rebel (Bender) from The Breakfast Club, in a good way. However, when Autumn and Dax are free of the library, life suddenly becomes more complicated. Autumn needs a distraction just as much as Dax. A secret friendship emerges, and soon, more.

This was my first read by Kasie West. I definitely plan to check out more of her work in the future! ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
Kasie West is my go-to author when I want to read light romcoms with substance. By Your Side is another story about teen romance, but with a twist. Autumn is one of the popular girls in school, Dax is the opposite, he's notorious. So when they are trapped inside a library their first interactions were strained. Before long the two start to form a friendship, but will it continue once they are free from the library, and will it blossom into something more?

I like it that this story incorporates issues with anxiety and addiction, issues that many teens are exposed to. I also like the fact that, although there are some antagonists and a love triangle, the real conflict is within the main characters themselves. And as with previous Kassie West books that I've read, the story ends with compassion and hope. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 13, 2017 |
On a scale of hospitals to school this book is an empty library with a hot boy.
This book made me wish to be locked in a library overnight. Books and boys. What more could any right-minded bibliophile want? Not only is Dax attractive, but he’s a Shakespeare lover. Hamlet of all plays which is my favourite. I can hear his hotness meter soaring in the background. In addition to that, any man willing to wear a friendship bracelet is a keeper if you ask me. Every single one of Dax and Autumn’s encounters was cute af.
Kasie’s writing is gloriously descriptive, making you feel as though you’re living the book right along with Autumn. Every single character is amazingly complex and exciting with relatable motives and feelings.
I would recommend this book to every single bibliophile because through it you can live out your wildest dreams.
  Kaitlin_DSouza | Jul 13, 2017 |
Who wouldn't want to get stuck in a library for a weekend with a hot guy?? Unfortunately for Autumn, it's not the guy she was planning to spend the weekend with and bad boy Dax would rather be alone. The plot could have used a bit more development but Dax made this book for me. Overall, it was a lighthearted and enjoyable quick-read. ( )
  DMPrice | Jul 1, 2017 |
This was an okay read, but I didn't think it was up to the author's usual standard. I was excited by the 'locked in a library for a whole weekend' teaser, how wonderful would that be? As it turned out, unfortunately, it could have been any building. Only when Autumn started throwing books at Dax did I think, yes, she actually is in a library.

Basically, the book was dull. While I liked Dax, I wasn't that keen on Autumn and I found the story of Jeff a total waste of time and space. It wasn't necessary. To have a love triangle was painful enough but then, to add insult to injury, one of the guys was in a coma for half of the book!!!??? By far my least favourite Kasie West novel. ( )
  HeatherLINC | May 23, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,903,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible