In the Night Room by Peter Straub

In the Night Room (2004)

by Peter Straub

Recently added bybookaholixanon, private library, H.B.Oberman.Library, wolfsbruder, hownovel, ADeVal

I've generally enjoyed Peter Straub's books, but In the Night Room was a strange read, and I'm not sure what I think about it. Apparently, it's a sequel to the Bram Stoker winning novel lost boy lost girl, which I haven't read and this book makes reference to the first on several occasions. I think I might have done better to read them in order, though the structure is so unusual that I'm not sure about that.

The story followed Tim Underhill, a writer of dark tales filled with murder and suspense, who begins to received strange messages from the dead, and Willey Patrick, a writer of young adult novels, who is about to wed a dark and dangerous man. The tale alternates back and forth between the two and then slowly brings them together in a rather strange way. I'm not sure what else to add without including spoilers.

I can see what people might love this book, and I can also see why others might hate it. The structure and the tone evoke both possibilities. I'm settled somewhere uncomfortably in the middle, and I'm not sure which way to lean. ( )
  andreablythe | Dec 30, 2013 |
In general I've always like Peter Straub's books.... Not this one. A great premise, a lackluster effort. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Only an average read, it was not a page turner and not particularly scary. The concepts were interesting though but perhaps not explored as clearly as they could have been. ( )
  qofd | Feb 25, 2010 |
Really good thriller with a spooky twist ( )
  chicjohn | Dec 3, 2009 |
This story weaves together the lives of a middle-aged, gay author, Tim Underhill, who is struggling with his newest novel, and the life of a woman author, Willy Patrick, haunted by visions of her dead daughter.

The book got weirder and weirder as it progressed, and when the two authors finally hook up in the middle of the novel, I had to suspend my disbelief when the gay man falls in love with the woman novelist. I don't think he matched the charm of the BBC series Bob and Rose in that respect.

I also figured out some of the twists of the plot pretty early on and so it didn't hold a lot of suspense for me.

This was the first book of Straub's that I've finished and I would only give it an average rating. ( )
  Mumugrrl | Jun 25, 2009 |
About 9:45 on a Wednesday morning early in a rain-drenched September, a novelist named Timothy Underhill gave up, in more distress than he cared to acknowledge, on his ruined breakfast and the New York Times crossword puzzle and returned, far behind schedule, to his third-floor loft at 55 Grand Street.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345491327, Mass Market Paperback)

In his latest soul-chilling novel, bestselling author Peter Straub tells of a famous children’s book author who, in the wake of a grotesque accident, realizes that the most basic facts of her existence, including her existence itself, have come into question.
Willy Patrick, the respected author of the award-winning young-adult novel In the Night Room, thinks she is losing her mind–again. One day, she is drawn helplessly into the parking lot of a warehouse. She knows somehow that her daughter, Holly, is being held in the building, and she has an overwhelming need to rescue her. But what Willy knows is impossible, for her daughter is dead.
On the same day, author Timothy Underhill, who has been struggling with a new book about a troubled young woman, is confronted with the ghost of his nine-year-old sister, April. Soon after, he begins to receive eerie, fragmented e-mails that he finally realizes are from people he knew in his youth–people now dead. Like his sister, they want urgently to tell him something. When Willy and Timothy meet, the frightening parallels between Willy’s tragic loss and the story in Tim’s manuscript suggest that they must join forces to confront the evils surrounding them.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:21 -0400)

Willy Patrick, respected author of the award-winning novel In the Night Room, thinks she is losing her mind. She is drawn helplessly into the parking lot of a wareHouse, knowing somehow that her daughter, Holly, is being held in the building. But this is impossible-Willy's daughter is dead. On that same day, author Timothy Underhill, who has been struggling with a new book about a troubled young woman, is confronted with the ghost of his nine-year-old sister April. Soon after, he begins to receive eerie, fragmented e-mails from people he knew in his youth--people now dead. Like his sister, they want urgently to tell him something. When Willy and Tim meet, the frightening parallels between Willy's tragic loss and the story in Tim's manuscript suggest that they must join forces to confront the evils surrounding them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible