Where Love Illumines (Where There is Love…

Where Love Illumines (Where There is Love Book 2)

by Donna Fletcher Crow

115,358,052 (5)None
Recently added bySheilaDeeth

No tags.

“What a wonderful story," says my mother. "As a Methodist of 85 years standing I have read a lot about the early days of Methodism, both in stories and in factual accounts. The background to this book and the accuracy of the descriptions, both of apparel and of stately homes is astonishing. It is hard to realise that the book was written by an American author. I began to read it halfway through the morning. I stopped just once, to visit the bathroom and then make sandwiches and eat lunch. Then I rushed back to it and read to the end." She clearly loved this book!

Donna Fletcher Crow’s Where Love Illumines is set partly in Cambridge, England, so I’m bound to love it too. It’s a faithful tale of historical Methodists – another good reason to read. But it’s also a story of real people in a world of failing faith, not unlike our own; a story filled with laugh-out-loud humor, gorgeously fashioned romance, and well-reasoning Christians arguing the meaning of their faith while their teachers are found wanting. It makes for an epic mix, and author Donna Fletcher Crow sets emotions and intellect into clever juxtaposition, juggling both and producing a result as well-balanced as the flavors in a perfect turtle soup.

In a time when the rich take the waters at Bath, dress gloriously, and feed on wondrous foods, London is growing—“eleven thousand new houses have been built in one-quarter of Westminster in less than ten years.” Meanwhile “enthusiasm in religion” might be “social suicide.” And a wise and humorous young man might have to “put his entire career and future success on the line for his faith.” But what of a woman whose love is confused, and whose faith hasn’t quite found its path.

The author incorporates letters of famous preachers into her text, and creates a novel that draws the reader like fiction, inspires like prayer, involves like a well-wrought lecture, and most highly entertains—or wrongly if you happen to feel “Humor … is most inappropriate and unbecoming in a man of God.” The story proceeds rightly and pleasingly, with a perfect balance of fiction and fact, fun and fire, inspiration and elation. Highly recommended for anyone interested in romance, religion or Christianity.

Disclosure: I was given a free ecopy and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jun 22, 2016 |

Donna Fletcher Crow is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,133,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible