Lace by Shirley Conran

Lace (1982)

by Shirley Conran

Series: Lace (1)

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
When I was offered this one for review I was intrigued because I recognized it - I had read it when it first came out (big sigh) 30 years ago. I didn't think I would remember much and thought it would be interesting to revisit a book from my erm, younger days. I remembered what a sensation this book made - there was even a mini-series that was one of the highest rated movies in '83-'84.

It's a doorstopper of a book at 754 pages, certainly not one that you can sit and finish in one day. There are 5 main characters; the three school friends Maxine, Pagan and Kate, their American friend Judy and of course, Lili the child born to one of them. There is a huge supporting cast of parents, aunts, lovers, husbands, children, employers and friends but it's not hard to keep up with them all.

As the synopsis above told the four old school friends find themselves in a hotel room unsure of why they are together and why they have been called there by Lili, a famous actress. She asks that famous question and the story begins. Lili's tale starts off with horros and then the tale moves to the Swiss finishing school where the four girls meet each other and they discover just how little they know about life, love and sex. Each girl has a romantic entanglement and at the end of Part 1 one of them is pregnant but the reader does not know which one. The story then moves back and forth in time to tell how the women came to be the rich, sophisticated beings they are.

Aaaah, to sink into a soap opera in book format. 'Cause that is exactly what this is. Lots of angst, lots of rich people, lots of fancy clothes and plenty of love scenes - some better than others. It was an enjoyable read - the characters were strong and the plot - if a bit mind bending - was enough to keep the pages turning. The identity of the mother came as a surprise but the identity of the father was a jaw dropper. I did not remember who from my initial reading so that made this re-read fun.

It was long. I'm not sure it was all necessary but the details were fascinating over the course of the three days (I think) I read this one. Lili's story was heartbreaking...and a bit disgusting all at the same time. The book is a lot about female friendships, women coming of age and men being piggish. ( )
1 vote BrokenTeepee | Dec 31, 2012 |
I remember watching the mini-series on television and I found this book in a thrift store. A secret guilty pleasure of mine. ( )
  r0ckcandy | Apr 9, 2009 |
Really superb saga. Entertaining and absorbing story.

Back Cover Blurb:
Four women, Judy, Kate, Pagan and Maxine, are summoned to a New York apartment where they are asked which one of them is the mother of the host. As they unlock the past, the women remember the things that tie them together. ( )
  mazda502001 | Nov 9, 2008 |
Didn't think much of it. The story evolving around all three friends is entertaining, but I found "Lacy's revenge" a bit melodramatic. I think that if you watch the movie, you'll be all set with this one. ( )
  AleAleta | Aug 27, 2007 |
Lace (1984IMDb)
Voor mijn zoons Sebastian Conran en Jasper Conran met liefde

From the ski-slopes of Switzerland to the busy streets of New York, from swinging London to seedy Paris, Lace tells how five women took life as they found it and made it a success.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible