The Mother of All Questions by Rebecca…

The Mother of All Questions

by Rebecca Solnit

There are 11 essays included in Solnit’s latest collection, the largest of which, and certainly the centerpiece of the collection, is a brilliant essay on Silence, which brought to my mind Tillie Olsen’s now classic [Silences] (and Solnit does, of course, reference it). The essay is about all the way we (women and men) are silenced. All of the essays are well-worth reading. I recognized, “The 80 Books that Women Should Not Read” which was originally published on lithub.com and was written in response to Esquire’s list of 80 books men should read. It’s searingly pointed and also amusing, and I had no problems reading it a few more times (and those are the very reasons I don’t read Hemingway, Mailer…etc). Or, how about “Men Explain Lolita to Me” – that was interesting! There’s a 2014 essay “Feminism: The Men Arrive”…well, I could list them all here.

I think Solnit is bloody brillant and she speaks out, with honesty, intelligence and authority. And she oftentimes she can be very witty. I admire her very much. ( )
  avaland | Jul 7, 2018 |
Gosto muito da Solnit, é o segundo livro que leio dela e me apetece o modo que usa a linguagem de maneira mordaz para falar de coisas muito sérias.
O primeiro ensaio (e mais longo do livro) é um pequeno tratado sobre o silenciamento feminino dentro da sociedade patriarcal, Solnit destrincha todas as formas de silenciamento, desde o simples interromper frases numa conversa banal até deliberações da ordem da escuta masculina ao não levar em consideração até uma mulher dizendo não durante o estupro.
Os demais ensaios (bem menores) tratam de literatura, cinema, feminicidio, antropologia, entre outras coisas, todos embasados a partir de uma leitura misógina da mulher na sociedade e bem desconstruídos com a verve da Solnit. Livrão. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
This book is a series of essays in which Solnit discusses, among other topics, art. In 100 books a woman shouldn't read she shows how, in respected books by male authors, women are shown to be burdens, sex objects or empty evil characters with no heart - this is also the way they're frequently treated by male stand up comics. Of course she finds Tosh's humor vile (wouldn't it be funny if 5 men raped her right now, ha, ha) but oops, she bought the outward feminism of Louis C. K. and Aziz Ansari before she found out, like the rest of us, that their actions didn't mimic their words. This is a good, illuminating look at feminist issues that most of us can't believe are not yet resolved. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Apr 27, 2018 |
It seems like in this day and age we shouldn't still be talking about sexism. Surely the human race should have evolved by now. But somehow we seem to keep having the same conversation day after day. It doesn't matter what political party you belong to, your age, race, or how much money you make, you've probably been a victim of sexual harassment or assault. If not, you probably know somebody who has. From government officials, newscasters, producers, to even managers at your local burger joint, sexual harassment is wide spread.

After last week's huge bombshell with HW, I read a few articles on the heinous alleged crimes committed by this sexual predictor. I was curious to find out if other people were as disgusted as I was, so I did what you really shouldn't do. I read the comments. I found myself bewildered over the negative comments toward the victims and not toward the criminal himself. Victim blaming. Have we as a society been brainwashed to think that if an assault happens it's because the victim was somehow asking for it? That it's part of the burden of being a woman? We should just take it?

If there is one good thing about what happened is that there is an ongoing conversation happening about how far reaching sexual assault and harassment is. And maybe now that it's being talked about out in open, we can finally do something about this dysfunctional climate. When a victim steps forward and tells their story it helps other women step forward. #NoMore #MeToo

Rebecca Solnit writes on many topics such as art, politics, and the environment. She writes with humor and grace. In The Mother of All Questions, Solnit writes on topics such as the rape culture, women who refused to be silent, violence against women, literature, film, and so much more. Each essay has a powerful message that enrages, empowers, and is thought provoking. Solnit's passion shines through every word. Though some of her points are repeated throughout the book, I didn't mind. Mostly because it bears to be repeated. After all, how many times have we had this conversation, and yet, the same things keep happening. Solnit is a powerful voice in today's world. The Mother of All Questions should be required reading.

I listened to The Mother of All Questions on audio. It's read by Tanya Eby, who has a ton of credits to her name. Her voice is very personable and pleasant, and was the perfect choice for reading the essays. She seemed to emulate Solnit's passion for the subject matter. I enjoyed listening to this on audio and recommend it.

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2017/10/audiobook-review-mother-of-all.html#6Wm... ( )
1 vote mt256 | Jan 5, 2018 |
I have the same criticism of this book as I did for Men Explain Things to Me: Some essays are exponentially stronger than others, and being a collection of essays on essentially the same topic, some very specific references to events or people appear multiple times within the same book. That said, Solnit is smart and witty and I really like her work. ( )
  KimMeyer | Sep 7, 2017 |

In this collection of essays, Solnit offers a timely commentary on gender and feminism. Her subjects include women who refuse to be silenced, misogynistic violence, the fragile masculinity of the literary canon, the recent history of rape jokes, and much more.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,086,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible