Stone's Heart by Darby Karchut

Stone’s Heart by Darby Karchut
Source: Author
My Rating: 5/5 stars
My Review:

It’s a long drive from the east coast to among the mountains of Colorado but Linney van Horn has made the drive and arrived at what will be her new life far, far from home and the heartbreak that drove her to the decision to leave home in the first place. It’s certainly not how she saw her life playing out but it’s the situation she finds herself in and Linney intends to make the best of everything. Her faith is in God and she is sure He won’t lead her astray.

Stone and his young son, Beau, have spent the better part of three years trying to come out of a fog of grief. Since his wife was so cruelly taken from them in a tragic car accident, it has taken everything the two have just to survive. Stone has never, not once in three years seen himself being involved with another woman until Linney shows up next door. For the first time in three long years, Stone is able to look beyond his grief and see the possibility of happiness and a bright future. Trouble is, those feelings are all kinds of uncomfortable and Linney has been clear, she wants nothing more than to be friends.

Friends?? HA!! Even Linney has a hard time convincing herself that’s all she wants with Stone. With each passing day Linney draws closer to Stone and Beau as she helps the two with their daily tasks and spends many evenings with them. They share meals, recap their day, bounce ideas off one another, and share quiet moments that are filled with genuine feelings of friendship and so much more. Though both are terribly scared of their growing feelings for the other, God has a plan for them and it’s going to take a bit of work, some true fear, and more than a little pain before Stone and Linney can be together. Hey, God never promised the path would be easy 

The Bottom Line: Make no mistake, I so love a down and dirty romance with loads of foul language and naughty bits, BUT the market and my Kindle are flooded with those types of reads, and sometimes I crave something different. Stone’s Heart is something different but is no less good for being so. As always, Karchut has packed her novel with very real, very likeable characters. Though Stone and Linney are fictional, their personalities, problems, and emotions are walking around in the real world which makes each totally relatable. Their actions and reactions to every situation are authentic, and the plot they have been written into is real and completely plausible. There are no stretches or leaps and every situation makes perfect sense to the overall plot and characters. Finally, there is not a single curse word nor naughty scene throughout. Now, before you scoff at no foul language and no naughty bits, know this, Stone’s Heart is a truly beautiful romance between two (three if you include Beau Bear!) people who have both been hurt before but are willing to open themselves up to love once again. From start to finish, Stone’s Heart is a well written feel good read that will more than satisfy most readers and offer a breath of fresh, clean air to those who are a bit desensitized from all the down and dirty reads that are so very prevalent. ( )
  arthistorychick | Oct 12, 2016 |
Horses and cowboys. Children and humor. A love that changes everything. Give me a novel with all of these subjects and I will read for hours, which is what I did. Yes, thanks to Award-Winning Author Darby Karchut’s latest novel, STONE’S HEART, I lost myself in a gentle story that brought laughter to my heart, tears to my eyes, and characters that I’ll remember for a long time.

Linney Van Horn, a teacher hoping for a new beginning, moves from to the East Coast to the small town of Venture, Colorado. I loved Linney from the beginning. Why? Instead of selling her horse, Prince, and leaving him back home, she takes him with her and in her new town rents a small cottage with a corral. She is determined to put the past behind her, and I admired her spunk in making the best of her situation.

Stone Wheeler and his seven-year-old son, Beau, rent the cottage next door. Stone, the local farrier, has a couple horses of his own. He also is a country boy and a John Denver fan, which added him to my best guy list. With characters like these two, I knew the story would be exciting. And it was.

Linney and Stone both have experienced sadness in their lives recently, and neither of them is interested in a serious relationship, or so they think. However, Linney falls in love with Beau, who is all boy, a sweet reminder of the innocence of children, and my favorite character of all.

In STONE’S HEART, Ms. Karchut has written a story of family, friends, and seeking God’s guidance to make the right choices. Whether she’s dealing with Guardian Angels or Celtic mythology, as in some of her other novels, or contemporary romance as in this latest book, what I enjoy most is her emphasis on family, especially the father and son relationship. STONE’S HEART is no exception. What Beau and Stone share is touching and beautiful. Every child should be so fortunate to have a father like Stone.

The author also shows her love and knowledge of horses, along with proof that she’s as talented writing a contemporary story as she is writing about warriors and unusual creatures.

I recommend STONE’S HEART for everyone that loves a good story about family, disappointments, children, and even a scary scene or two that makes the reader chew on her fingernails, waiting to see the outcome. Yeah, pretty tense.

Another great novel from Darby Karchut. What will she come up with next?

The author provided me with a copy of the novel for my honest review. ( )
  beverlyjean | Jun 23, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,126,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible