The Loved Ones by Sonya Chung

The Loved Ones

by Sonya Chung

272402,159 (5)1

I'm not sure I'm the most objective judge of this book since Sonya's a friend and colleague and I was an early reader. But I was really moved by how my feelings for the characters deepened and ripened through the course of the novel—which was of course one of its major points, but that progression was done so skillfully, in a way that brought the reader in to a certain kind of complicity without being manipulative. The book has a wonderfully quirky rhythm that, once you fall into it, pulls you along through this often thorny story with a skittery third person POV, and after a certain point I just could not put it down for long. And at the end I teared up even though it wasn't sad or sentimental, I think just leaving the characters—none of whom were so overwhelmingly lovable on their surfaces—behind. Well done. ( )
  lisapeet | Feb 14, 2017 |

In this masterful novel of inheritance and loss, Sonya Chung (Long for This World) proves herself a worthy heir to Marguerite Duras, Hwang Sun-won, and James Salter. Spanning generations and divergent cultures, The Loved Ones maps the intimate politics of unlikely attractions, illicit love, and costly reconciliations.

Charles Lee, the young African American patriarch of a biracial family, seeks to remedy his fatherless childhood in Washington, DC, by making an honorable choice when his chance arrives. Years later in the mid-1980s, uneasy and stymied in his marriage to Alice, he finds a connection with Hannah Lee, the teenage Korean American caregiver whose parents' transgressive flight from tradition and war has left them shrouded in a cloud of secrets and muted passion.

A shocking and senseless death will test every familial bond and force all who are touched by the tragedy to reexamine who their loved ones truly are--the very meaning of the words. Haunting, elliptical, and powerful, The Loved Ones deconstructs the world we think we know and shows us the one we inhabit.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jun 2016 02:36:10 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,938,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible