101 Cool Ways to Die by Douglas Gillies

by Douglas Gillies

1None3,689,591NoneNone

No tags.

No reviews

A humorous and penetrating look at how we live and how we die. This is a quick read that leaves a lasting impression.

Only in America do you hear people say, "If I die..." As if there were another option. As if we could choose between dying and, say, a trip to Hawaii. This book takes you on a light-hearted journey across the great divide between if and when.

It's something we all have to do sooner or later, but nobody seems to want to talk about. Shakespeare wrote, "All the world's a stage." If that is true, most of the players are reading a script without an ending. We may act as if the show goes on forever, but the climax always comes in the final act. One way or another, all of the fascinating characters who wander through every stage of our lives are going to die.

"Americans live under the illusion that death is an option. Here is a creative and hopeful antidote to our cultural paranoia. This book invites the reader to stand in the tension of opposites. Instead of fear, expect to discover the joy of living." --Richard Groves, founder, The Anamcara Project.

If you had 30 minutes to live, what would you rather be doing--flying a hang glider over the South Pacific or riding a commuter train across the Brooklyn Bridge? Everyone will die someday, but once you're dead it's almost always too late to get a life.

You will discover:
1. Moderation is not always the best policy.
2. It's not what you know but who you are.
3. Live every day like there's no tomorrow.

You have only two lives to live--the one you live, and the one you will miss it you are too busy or too cautious or too stubborn to take the leap. This is an accelerated course in living. And it has REALLY BIG TYPE.

So why not face the music? Give some thought to all the cool ways you could be living your life when you take your last breath, living life like there's no tomorrow--and maybe taking a few risks.

One reader said, "I laughed so hard I almost died." That would be a cool way to die.

Dying may seem like an impolite topic, but consider the alternatives. Even God hasn't come up with a better solution. Odds are that your last glimpse of the great outdoors will be at the back of a hospital. Once you're inside, they will hook you up, try to save your life, and finally pull the plug. Last one out wins.

The worst thing you can do, as a member of the consumer caste, is to go out on your own dime, spending all your hard-earned cash on some ridiculous contraption--—like a hang glider, or a rocket-powered scooter, or ropes to rappel off the top of the Eiffel Tower.

In the next three hours, while you're minding your own business (or flying a hang glider to Hawaii) the population of the world will go up 25,000--another 200,000 people a day. That's 72 million more people every year.

The Red Cross is trying to save lives. Fire fighters, doctors, paramedics, and ambulance drivers are dedicated to saving lives. We're living twice as long as we lived a century ago, we generate twice as much garbage per day, and for what? To play more golf and tennis? Perhaps we don't talk about dying because we're addicted to living.

Most people would say that they want to die in their sleep. When you're asleep, you can't tell if you're really dying or if it's just a bad dream. You try to wake up but it just keeps getting more complicated. You may hear voices, but you're asleep so the voices probably aren't real. And if you do manage to wake up, guess what? You're dead! There are others who prefer to die the Mexican way, con los ojos abiertos--with your eyes wide open.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 05 Sep 2016 22:49:33 -0400)

Average: No ratings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,936,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible