In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner by Elizabeth…

In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner (original 1999; edition 2002)

by Elizabeth George

Member:WFPL
Title:In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Petersen Taschenbücher (2002), Perfect Paperback
Collections:JulyAugustSept, 2014

In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner by Elizabeth George (1999)

English (27)  Dutch (2)  All languages (29)
A nice Lynley-Havers book. That there were also murders that needed to be solved seemed to be put in 2nd place from time to time.
Havers was foolish, stubborn, in short her usual self. Lynley was worse than I've ever 'read him'. Together it was fireworks, that in the end solved the case.
Liked the book, although it might have been a bit shorter. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 2, 2019 |
Barbara Havers has been demoted to Constable due to her ignoring the Essex DCI's order to let the young Pakistani girl drown. On this case she is supposed to do exactly as Inspector Lynley requests, but he is going off on the wrong track. He is also being unreasonable and not using Barbara's expertise to help solve this case since he is so hung up with her insubordination (and the fact that she is a woman). Barbara perseveres and catches the murderer. This novel contains the usual detailed descriptions that Elizabeth George includes so a reader can visualize has each locale looks. ( )
  baughga | Mar 1, 2019 |
I know who done it! I know who done it! HA!

Another favorite author and detective discovered compliments of PBS "Masterpiece Mystery." I have not been reading the Inspector Lynley series in order. This is because I am having difficulties coming across used copies of the author. I know that sounds cheap, but I am cheap. And, it seems a tragedy of tragedies to spend money on shipping for a paperback book. So, I haunt the library cast-off book store where the lovely volunteer keeps her eyes open for any Elizabeth George coming through the stacks of contributions. I truly believe the author is fully worth the $1 I spend per book.

George is one of those mystery writers that is good at the details. There is no anger as a result of facts and clues added at the last minute. The clues are there for you to follow the leads. Her writing does take you down some twists that can make you think you know who is guilty only to have the suspect vindicated. But, that is the fun of a mystery, is it not?

Inspector Lynley of the books is a much more complicated man than the character depicted in the BBC series. The BBC Lynley seems to have it more together while coming off as a bit of a prig, while George's Lynley is more complicated and introspective. BBC Lynley is always right, even while he treats his wife somewhat badly, while George's Lynley admits when he is wrong and at least tries to treat his wife well. Lynley's BBC wife is not as strong as George's character, and George's DI Havers is a much more intriguing mess of a character than the BBC Havers. George's books are long...but great companions for long plane trips with several transfers.

My one criticism: Watermelon Pop-Tarts?? (O_o) Eeeewwwww! ( )
  Christina_E_Mitchell | Sep 9, 2017 |
READ IN DUTCH

I bought this book in a library sale for I think 0,50 Euro; because I'm a fan of the Lynley tv-series...

It took me a long time to really get into the story. It's a long book, about 750 pages, people might think that's quite a lot for a detective book. Well, it is. The start felt very slow, and it took more than 200 pages to start really enjoying the story.

Truth be told, after that, I found it hard to put the book down. I can't really say what changed for me, but it almost felt as if I was reading another book altogether. So, in the end, it wasn't a bad book, it was quite nice to read. Maybe it didn't help in the beginning that this is the tenth novel in the Lynley series, so obviously I've missed a lot of character development (although I've gotten to know quite a lot about Lynley and Havers trough the tv-series) ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
This was okay. Keep your dictionary beside you - Lots of big words. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
To have a thankless child!
- King Lear
In loving memory of my father

Robert Edwin George

the Shakespeare guessing game
the raven and the fox
and most of all
for instilling in me
a passion for our native language
What David King-Ryder felt inside was a kind of grief and a secondary dying.

elizabethgeorgeonline.com- Calder Moor is a wild and deadly place: Many have been trapped in the myriad limestone caves, lost in collapsed copper mines, injured on perilous gritstone ridges. But this time, when two bodies are discovered in the shadow of the ancient circle of stones known as Nine Sisters Henge, it is clearly not a case for Mountain Rescue. The corpses are those of a young man and woman. Each met death in a different fashion. Each died violently.

To Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley, brought in to investigate by special request, this grisly crime promises to be one of the toughest assignments of his career. For one of the victims was Nicola Maiden, the daughter of a former officer in an elite undercover unit at New Scotland Yard and a man Lynley once regarded as a mentor. Now, as Lynley struggles to find out if Nicola's killer was an enemy of her father's or one she earned herself, a disgraced Barbara Havers, determined to redeem herself in the eyes of her longtime partner, crisscrosses London seeking information on the second murder victim.

He is Terry Cole, a struggling artist of questionable talents and even more questionable monetary assets. How or even if he knows Nicola Maiden is a mystery to everyone, for no one in Nicola's family can identify the young man. And no one in the area has ever seen him before his body is found on the moor.

The more dark secrets Lynley and Havers uncover, the more they learn that neither the victims nor the suspects are exactly who they appear to be. And once again they come up against the realization that human relationships are often murderous and that the blood that binds can also kill.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553575104, Mass Market Paperback)

The narrative talents of English stage actor Derek Jacobi are put to excellent use in this intriguing mystery of a double murder most foul. Author Elizabeth George presents her popular detectives Thomas Lynley and Barbara Havers with one of their most grisly and difficult cases ever as they search for clues to a bloody crime while struggling to repair their own strained partnership. George's mystery bobs, weaves, twists, and turns from a packed West End theater through the sumptuous halls of a country manor and into the desolate reaches of the high country moors before revealing its delightfully wicked and suspenseful conclusion. Jacobi tackles the complex plot and diverse cast of characters with relish, working his theatrical skills into an outstanding performance. (Running time: 6 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley investigates the murder of two people found in a remote prehistoric stone circle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,916,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible