In Pursuit of the Proper sinner by Elizabeth…

In Pursuit of the Proper sinner (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Elizabeth George

Member:Caramellunacy
Title:In Pursuit of the Proper sinner
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:New York : Bantam Books, c1999.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Inspector Lynley, Book 10, hiker, police procedural

In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner by Elizabeth George (1999)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
In this installment of the Lynley/Haers series, Inspector Lynley is asked by an old friend to aid the investigation of his daughter's murder. She was found near another body out on the desolate moors. Havers, having been demoted and relegated to an almost nonexistent role in the investigation is trying hard to solve the murders from a completely different angle and get back into Lynley's good graces.

This was another great offering in the Lynley/Havers series! I so enjoy these! ( )
  bookwoman247 | Sep 28, 2013 |
The mystery and (new) characters did not interest me, hence I give it a lower rating than most of Elizabeth George's books. Some of the logic and plotting did not seem plausible, either, and that stopped me from enjoying it more.

That being said, it was a joy as ever to learn more about Barbara Havers and Helen Lynley. I also appreciated seeing another side of Tommy Lynley's character, namely his unfounded chauvinism. It would have been too unrealistic for anyone to be so kind and understanding all the time...except that Helen seems to be that way! She is so awesome.

Favorite lines:
"She felt like a shattered mirror, useless but dangerous with broken edges."

"Human relationships were murder." [This observation is particularly amusing because it comes from Havers, who is so excellent at solving murders!]

"'We carry such baggage, don't we, darling? And just when we think we've finally unpacked, there it all is again, waiting in front of our bedroom door, ready to trip us up when we get up in the morning.'"
[This observation is from Helen, of course, who understands relationships and still makes mistakes in them.] ( )
1 vote librarianarpita | Sep 21, 2012 |
This is the 10th of the Inspector Lynley novels. It took me longer than usual to read this one - not quite sure why. It's a good book. Havers (my favorite character) starts the novel in disgrace from the previous book, and she spends this entire book trying to redeem herself in her own special way. A former undercover agent's daughter is murdered in the countryside, and Lynley is called in to solve the mystery. As with all of her books, George shows us sides of characters we wouldn't expect to see. It's not until the end that you'll learn who the murderer is, and the motive will surprise you too. ( )
1 vote hobbitprincess | Jun 1, 2012 |
Though I love this series in general, this entry wasn't one of my favorites. Lynley and Havers are at odds with each other over Barbara's actions in a previous case. I felt like they were both acting rather childishly and felt like they both could have dealt with this disagreement better. The plot of the mystery annoyed me a bit too. We seemed to spend a chapter of two developing each character as the possible culprit, only to move on to the next one later. But I will move on to the next entry in the series, hoping to feel happier about it. ( )
  gbelik | Jan 26, 2012 |
Calder Moor is a wild and deadly place: many have been trapped in the myriad limestone caves, lost in collapsed copper mines, injured on perilous gritstone ridges. But this time, when two bodies are discovered in the shadow of the ancient circle of stones known as Nine Sisters Henge, it is clearly not a case for Mountain Rescue. The corpses are those of a young man and woman. Each met death in a different fashion. Each died violently. To Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley, brought in to investigate by special request, this grisly crime promises to be one of the toughest assignments of his career. For the unfortunate Nicola Maiden was the daughter of a former officer in an elite undercover unit, a man Lynley once regarded as a mentor. Now, as Lynley struggles to find out if Nicola's killer was an enemy of her father's or one she earned herself, a disgraced Barbara Havers, determined to redeem herself in the eyes of her longtime partner, crisscrosses London seeking information on the second murder victim. Yet the more dark secrets Lynley and Havers uncover, the more they learn that neither the victims nor the suspects are who they appear to be. And once again they come up against the icy realization that human relationships are often murderous...and that the blood that binds can also kill.
  SalemAthenaeum | Nov 14, 2011 |
How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
To have a thankless child!
- King Lear
In loving memory of my father

Robert Edwin George

the Shakespeare guessing game
the raven and the fox
and most of all
for instilling in me
a passion for our native language
What David King-Ryder felt inside was a kind of grief and a secondary dying.

elizabethgeorgeonline.com- Calder Moor is a wild and deadly place: Many have been trapped in the myriad limestone caves, lost in collapsed copper mines, injured on perilous gritstone ridges. But this time, when two bodies are discovered in the shadow of the ancient circle of stones known as Nine Sisters Henge, it is clearly not a case for Mountain Rescue. The corpses are those of a young man and woman. Each met death in a different fashion. Each died violently.

To Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley, brought in to investigate by special request, this grisly crime promises to be one of the toughest assignments of his career. For one of the victims was Nicola Maiden, the daughter of a former officer in an elite undercover unit at New Scotland Yard and a man Lynley once regarded as a mentor. Now, as Lynley struggles to find out if Nicola's killer was an enemy of her father's or one she earned herself, a disgraced Barbara Havers, determined to redeem herself in the eyes of her longtime partner, crisscrosses London seeking information on the second murder victim.

He is Terry Cole, a struggling artist of questionable talents and even more questionable monetary assets. How or even if he knows Nicola Maiden is a mystery to everyone, for no one in Nicola's family can identify the young man. And no one in the area has ever seen him before his body is found on the moor.

The more dark secrets Lynley and Havers uncover, the more they learn that neither the victims nor the suspects are exactly who they appear to be. And once again they come up against the realization that human relationships are often murderous and that the blood that binds can also kill.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553575104, Mass Market Paperback)

The narrative talents of English stage actor Derek Jacobi are put to excellent use in this intriguing mystery of a double murder most foul. Author Elizabeth George presents her popular detectives Thomas Lynley and Barbara Havers with one of their most grisly and difficult cases ever as they search for clues to a bloody crime while struggling to repair their own strained partnership. George's mystery bobs, weaves, twists, and turns from a packed West End theater through the sumptuous halls of a country manor and into the desolate reaches of the high country moors before revealing its delightfully wicked and suspenseful conclusion. Jacobi tackles the complex plot and diverse cast of characters with relish, working his theatrical skills into an outstanding performance. (Running time: 6 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:52 -0400)

Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley investigates the murder of two people found in a remote prehistoric stone circle.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible